Male/Female ratio

Bassbum2

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 15, 2014
Massachusetts
Hi,

This coming spring I would like to try hatching some eggs to add to my flock instead of buying chicks. My question is, if I get a dozen eggs of each of the breeds I would like, how many males and females could i expect from each dozen or is that to small an amount to have any expectations? I plan on getting Ameraucana and Copper Marans if that makes a difference.

Russell

That is what I figured but thought i would ask anyway. I will plan on doing a dozen of each and hopefully be able to sell what I don't want.

Russell

Hi,

This coming spring I would like to try hatching some eggs to add to my flock instead of buying chicks. My question is, if I get a dozen eggs of each of the breeds I would like, how many males and females could i expect from each dozen or is that to small an amount to have any expectations? I plan on getting Ameraucana and Copper Marans if that makes a difference.

Russell
Well, the ratio is 50/50. However, you may or may not see that in such small amounts of eggs. The ratios even out over 1000's of eggs, but one particular dozen could hatch all female, another all male, and another half and half. So yeah. You just have to cross your fingers and hope to get as many pullets as you're hoping for.

Back
Top Bottom