Funnily a claim for late arriving hatching eggs

jrw-allsmiles

Hatching
Nov 21, 2023
Hi all! Newbie here. So I ordered 4 dozen hatching eggs. 3 dozen came and the other was due to arrive on Nov 16th. All others arrived that day as well and I had the incubators going on sat to load them up. The last dozen never got there. Tracking still showed Nov 16th delivery date but they were held at 1 facility for 3 days. Long story short. They were mailed out last Monday and got to me today. My incubators are now full because I pulled some from my flock to fill the incubator and the eggs were gathered on fri Nov 10th, shipped on Monday Nov 13th. They just arrived to the post office today, Nov 21st. I asked about filling a claim and they said there's no damage to the box and priority mail isn't a guarantee, only a hope in all honesty is what the post lady said. Her words were tracking on priority just means that they hope it gets there then but it could be anytime. So because the eggs are no longer viable and they are 5 days late, she says I'm just out the money
I've take with the shipper and she has never dealt with anything like this and can't give any info to help. So, question....Can we file a claim on priority for hatching eggs arriving late? Do they in fact have to be broken or damaged to file a claim? Do they have to be shipped express in order for the insurance to be valid in this type situation? Just trying to figure out what to do to try to recoup some of the $130 I spent.
Thanks yall!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

I would think the person or company you ordered these eggs from has a responsibility to get these eggs to you on time and in viable condition. I think you would need to take this up with them, not the post office, priority mail is never 100% guaranteed. As long as the PO hasn't damaged them, I don't think they will claim responsibility.

This said, your eggs may still be quite viable as long as they haven't been frozen or over heated. Some fertility may start dropping off by day 10 however many of them should still hold their fertility for another week. I've heard of people incubating 30 day old eggs left in their garage.

If there not broken, let them rest in the egg carton for a day. Then mark each egg to know which eggs these are. Place them in the incubator, do NOT turn them for 3 days. On the 4th day start turning them. On the 6th or 7th day candle each egg and look for a blood web, it will indicate it's alive.

Personal, I've hatched month old eggs from my own flock. Shipped eggs on the other hand is a risky venture. Only because you don't know how much vibration the eggs endured during transit. That said, you can only hope for the best.

As far as USPS insurance, it has to come in physically damaged to make a claim.

I'd definitely try to still hatch them instead of just giving up, there's a decent chance some will still develop and hatch.

Unless it said "guaranteed delivery by" or "money back guarantee" there's not much you can do unfortunately. I always ship express with birds or eggs whenever possible.
There's typically a lot of post office delays around holidays too, especially around Thanksgiving/black Friday. I will not ship birds or eggs two weeks before or one week after a major holiday.

Hi all! Newbie here. So I ordered 4 dozen hatching eggs. 3 dozen came and the other was due to arrive on Nov 16th. All others arrived that day as well and I had the incubators going on sat to load them up. The last dozen never got there. Tracking still showed Nov 16th delivery date but they were held at 1 facility for 3 days. Long story short. They were mailed out last Monday and got to me today. My incubators are now full because I pulled some from my flock to fill the incubator and the eggs were gathered on fri Nov 10th, shipped on Monday Nov 13th. They just arrived to the post office today, Nov 21st. I asked about filling a claim and they said there's no damage to the box and priority mail isn't a guarantee, only a hope in all honesty is what the post lady said. Her words were tracking on priority just means that they hope it gets there then but it could be anytime. So because the eggs are no longer viable and they are 5 days late, she says I'm just out the money
I've take with the shipper and she has never dealt with anything like this and can't give any info to help. So, question....Can we file a claim on priority for hatching eggs arriving late? Do they in fact have to be broken or damaged to file a claim? Do they have to be shipped express in order for the insurance to be valid in this type situation? Just trying to figure out what to do to try to recoup some of the $130 I spent.
Thanks yall!
Were they from Ebay from Chicago. Because that's what I'm going through right now is that one box never even showed up at all.
If they don't come tomorrow, I can file a claim through Ebay. The seller told me to deal with it. That's the first time I've dealt with someone on Ebay saying that to me.

Were they from Ebay from Chicago. Because that's what I'm going through right now is that one box never even showed up at all.
If they don't come tomorrow, I can file a claim through Ebay. The seller told me to deal with it. That's the first time I've dealt with someone on Ebay saying that to me.
They were from ebay but from Alabama. This was totally the fault of the USPS but the seller is trying to make it right when she gets more eggs

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

I would think the person or company you ordered these eggs from has a responsibility to get these eggs to you on time and in viable condition. I think you would need to take this up with them, not the post office, priority mail is never 100% guaranteed. As long as the PO hasn't damaged them, I don't think they will claim responsibility.

This said, your eggs may still be quite viable as long as they haven't been frozen or over heated. Some fertility may start dropping off by day 10 however many of them should still hold their fertility for another week. I've heard of people incubating 30 day old eggs left in their garage.
This is the most ridiculous answer. The seller does not work for the post office. Once it gets into their hands it is their sole responsibility to ensure the package arrives at the address for delivery. That is literally their job. Why do you think a small farm business owner should continue to pay out of pocket or ship free eggs to cover the mistakes made at the post office.
How about we figure out a way to make the post office liable or responsible to taking a package that says live embryos or hatching eggs and leaving it in their facility for days on end before shipping it out. The box says priority, shipping isn't cheap, eggs aren't cheap.
I'm at a loss for words.
The seller should be responsible for replacing eggs if they are packaged poorly and show up broken.

Back
Top Bottom