Male Guinea eating my chicken eggs

ladyh

Songster
8 Years
Mar 9, 2015
New Mexico
Does anyone know how to stop a guinea from raiding the chicken coop and eating eggs? I have 7 and one make keeps sneaking to where the hens lay their eggs and eats the eggs. Can I spray something as a deterent that won't repel the chickens from laying? I have fake eggs where the chickens lay but he seems to know where the fresh ones are. I have thrown higher protein feed to where they are outside the fencing but that doesn't seem to help.

The only solutions I can think of are fence him out or eat him. In my experience with them once Guinea Fowl get something in mind they are single mindedly determined to carry it out.

Does anyone know how to stop a guinea from raiding the chicken coop and eating eggs? I have 7 and one make keeps sneaking to where the hens lay their eggs and eats the eggs. Can I spray something as a deterent that won't repel the chickens from laying? I have fake eggs where the chickens lay but he seems to know where the fresh ones are. I have thrown higher protein feed to where they are outside the fencing but that doesn't seem to help.
You could put fake eggs in, but if he doesn’t stop, crack an egg open just a bit and pack it full with hot sauce.

The only solutions I can think of are fence him out or eat him. In my experience with them once Guinea Fowl get something in mind they are single mindedly determined to carry it out.
Yeah they are single minded. My heeler will chase him out when I see him out there, but I have to go like every 45 minutes to try to get eggs before he shows up. All I have to do is yell "get out of here" and my heeler goes bizerk and wants to get him but he does fly away until next time. He seems to know when they lay... I have 6 foot fencing but he flies over of course and I don't have the heart to kill guineas or chickens...

Yeah they are single minded. My heeler will chase him out when I see him out there, but I have to go like every 45 minutes to try to get eggs before he shows up. All I have to do is yell "get out of here" and my heeler goes bizerk and wants to get him but he does fly away until next time. He seems to know when they lay... I have 6 foot fencing but he flies over of course and I don't have the heart to kill guineas or chickens...
The other option is to rehome him.

Back
Top Bottom