Male Khaki Campbell Ducks Fighting

angiemray

In the Brooder
May 22, 2020
Hello! I'm needing some help with understanding some new behavior we have seen in 2 of our male khaki campbells. We only have 3 ducks, all khaki campbell and all males. One is about 6 months older than the other two, but have all grown up together other than that first 6 months, they are not yet a year old. Recently, two of the ducks are constantly fighting one another. They go back and forth as to who appears to be the dominant one (which one is initiating the fight). The 3rd male always remains neutral. Is this normal? How do I stop them from fighting? I'm worried they are going to hurt each other. Thanks for any help and/or advice. Help!

It might simply because with longer daylight they are feeling their hormones.

If the pen is big enough for them to hide from each other they might work it out...

But spring is a time of huge hormone surges.... they might need to be split up.

Hello! I'm needing some help with understanding some new behavior we have seen in 2 of our male khaki campbells. We only have 3 ducks, all khaki campbell and all males. One is about 6 months older than the other two, but have all grown up together other than that first 6 months, they are not yet a year old. Recently, two of the ducks are constantly fighting one another. They go back and forth as to who appears to be the dominant one (which one is initiating the fight). The 3rd male always remains neutral. Is this normal? How do I stop them from fighting? I'm worried they are going to hurt each other. Thanks for any help and/or advice. Help!
I think they are fighting to decide who is going to be dominate this spring. I had two drakes and they did this every late winter/early spring, with differing results. The first year, when they were young, it was bad enough I had to split them up (one had an injured foamy eye). But, they still fought it out for dominance when they were both healthy. So, yes this is normal, but as Alaskan pointed out they may need to fight it out or be split up. I would just keep a close eye on them and make sure they have room to get away from each other.

My boys start fighting in March. I live in the northeast so your daylight may vary, and dictate when they start fighting.

I separate my runners from the pekins with a short fence in their run. They still are sometimes aggressive towards the others against the fence, but the important thing is nobody damages each other.

Back
Top Bottom