Male or female emu chick ?

ShellyBear

Songster
9 Years
Jun 10, 2010
This month and a half chick is said to be male but I'm not sure. . . He was sexed by his head pattern.

Last edited:
I just bought 2 month/ month and a half emu babies. I have a 5/6 year old female now.Where do I send a feather for testing and about how much does it cost. I am not planning on raising emus but I would be nice to know.
seabass

Thank you birdeo,
I just sent in for a test kit for my 2 Emu chicks. It's nice not having to wait 2 years? Is that correct? I think this is what I was told.
sseabass

Thank you birdeo,
I just sent in for a test kit for my 2 Emu chicks. It's nice not having to wait 2 years? Is that correct? I think this is what I was told.
sseabass
I think you mean: 'How do you determine sex without tech-testing?' Emus make a splendid variety of sounds. Those of adult females and males are often indistinguishable. But at some point . . . you'll see a late-adolescent/young adult emu 'hunker down' (with 'swan neck') and puff up its feathers, and make a string of 6-18 unmistakeable 'booms.' That's a female (and the sound comes from a vocal sac that only females have). If you hear regular strings of booms at night, and can determine which bird it is, she's female. (Males do occasionally vocalise at night, but not often.)

Here is Felicity (but no swan neck): https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/714603/lightbox/post/10877283/id/5643618

Back
Top Bottom