Male or Female?

AKMommaF8

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 15, 2011
Palmer, Alaska
Hi y'all! About a month, maybe a month & a half ago (Don't have my calendar handy, sorry!) I traded some of Muscovy ducklings for 2 Pilgrim goslings. The gentleman said they were female, but the lightest he'd ever had hatch. (No, he didn't vent sex them) He said he could tell by the color of their bills & their down color!🤷‍♀️) I don't know much about Pilgrim goslings, my female was 2 even I got her, & y'all saw what happened with my first "gander!" 🤦‍♀️

20220711_104309.jpg
20220711_102243.jpg
20220711_102226.jpg

While some ganders may be slightly darker at hatch than others, the pair that you got look like ganders to me...especially since they're feathering out white. The bill color from the earlier photos is an indicator, too - females typically have very dark bills with a bit of pink on the tip.

ETA: check out the photo at the bottom of the Pilgrim page on Holderread's website.

Last edited:
While some ganders may be slightly darker at hatch than others, the pair that you got look like ganders to me...especially since they're feathering out white. The bill color from the earlier photos is an indicator, too - females typically have very dark bills with a bit of pink on the tip.

ETA: check out the photo at the bottom of the Pilgrim page on Holderread's website.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom