Male Peacock killing my hens

Stargazer farm

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 8, 2013
For three years my male Peacock and his wife have lived happily on my farm with 20 free ranging chickens.
The hen when off this year for the first time to make a nest in the woods behind my barn. That was about 14 days ago.
I never saw them made, so I'm not sure if she's just sitting on a non-fertile nest
But in the past 48 hours he's killed three of my female hands he just charges over to them, gets on top of them, rapes them and kills them before I can save anybody
I don't want to get rid of my peacock, my questions are one has anyone else had this happen and two when his wife comes back will it stop

welcome-byc.gif
Sounds like your peacock needs to be penned away from your chickens or you won't have any. Something may have taken his wife and she won't be back. I would imagine he may kill new pea hens because they aren't his wife.

I have had four peacocks, one turned out to be aggressive, would have killed the other three, kept chasing one until he could not run any more. I did not keep him.

For three years my male Peacock and his wife have lived happily on my farm with 20 free ranging chickens.
The hen when off this year for the first time to make a nest in the woods behind my barn. That was about 14 days ago.
I never saw them made, so I'm not sure if she's just sitting on a non-fertile nest
But in the past 48 hours he's killed three of my female hands he just charges over to them, gets on top of them, rapes them and kills them before I can save anybody
I don't want to get rid of my peacock, my questions are one has anyone else had this happen and two when his wife comes back will it stop

Hi, in my first post I forgot to mention his wife comes back every three or four days and eats and then returns to the nest. I went out this morning and I purchased two new peahens. I cut their wings and I'm keeping them in a huge horse stall to see if he will be attracted to them and hopefully stop killing the chickens.
The peahen he loves is his sister.....do they only love one hen? Could he love these new 2 I bought this morning?
When he saw them he made his neck do this weird s shaped curve then flew onto our roof.

Back
Top Bottom