@Sweet Peachick, where do you live? If he's this bad and only two years old he's probably gonna get worse. I have one that's like this, but only during breeding season. The rest of the year he's safe to be around.

It sounds like he is imprinted on you. He thinks of you as one of his hens. you need to show him your the boss. Swat him with a broom, spray him with a garden hose. If you don't think you can hold him down and show him who the boss is.

If you got him as a chick he is not a true Green but a spalding. Either way birds that are higher percentage spaldings tend to be aggressive like their Green counterparts. He will not stop regardless of what you do, it's in his genes to be aggressive.

It sounds like he is imprinted on you. He thinks of you as one of his hens. you need to show him your the boss. Swat him with a broom, spray him with a garden hose. If you don't think you can hold him down and show him who the boss is.
Today I was out feeding the group their snack when he jumped on top of me. I grabbed my walking stick and chased him around for about 20 mins. letting him know I was NOT gonna take his shit. He kept chasing me until I finally had to give him a good smack on his legs. After that he took the group to the front yard to roost tonight. Now I have a green female in a 20 x 20 cage all by herself because he beat her up pretty bad. Not sure what I'm gonna do with her as she will not come out of the pen. Thanks for the advice. Hopefully I can get control of this before it gets out of hand.

@Sweet Peachick, where do you live? If he's this bad and only two years old he's probably gonna get worse. I have one that's like this, but only during breeding season. The rest of the year he's safe to be around.
I'm in Florida. After our battle today he decided to leave me alone for a while. I really don't want to hurt him but I'm not going to have a bird that size rule me. He got a nice wack on the feet today after jumping me while I was changing their waters out around the yard. So sad because I really love my birds and have spoiled them. A few of the hens have laid eggs on the side of the house so I'm not going to bother them. I don't even know when breeding season starts. Soon as the weather changed and got a bit cooler so did his behavior. This just started to happen. Felt horrible for hitting him with the stick because I've worked so hard to have a trusting bond with him.

Imprinting a peacock is the problem, peahens are ok but cocks who lose their fear of humans will see you as one of the flock and treat you as they would another bird. He has a breeding territory that he commands and does not want you in it. That is why he is stalking you, that is what they do to other cocks to get them to leave their area.

The jumping on top of you may be an attempt to breed with you if it was sparing or real aggression he would be using his spurs kicking and cutting you. The aggression to the hen is from frustration, we have to put sight barriers between the high Spauldings so they can not see each other. When they see each other they fight to get the other cock out of their area. When they can not get to the other cock through the fence wire to chase him off he gets frustrated and will take it out on the hens.

I wish I could tell you how to fix your problem but I am afraid there is no easy way to change his behavior. You will probably have to sell him to someone that can use him in a breeding program or have him mounted. When you do replace him do not imprint the next cock.

Back
Top Bottom