Male Quail Being Absolutely Vicious To Others

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Coturnix Quail, Feb 15, 2017.

1. BobDBirdDog

BobDBirdDog Songster

Jun 8, 2014
    Tennessee
    As others have said, increase the protein in the foods. Try a few cans of sardiens until they stop! You have to open the can for them though.[​IMG] and I would use something besides the sharp cans to feed them. That should stop it pretty fast. As for the bald heads/sores, they are going to targeting those birds until it heals. or you could try the blue coat to help stop them. There's another dressing called No Peck as well. I dont follow youtube videos due to data so if that was the link ( I am not trying to step on toes).

One thing I am reminded of from twocrows or kc (years back) is that, introducing new birds to the colony will cause a massive aggression as they see them as outsiders to the colony. So if you did that (added birds), there lies another problem.

But all together, I bet there was originally an aggression between the males that caused the sores as spring breeding is approaching, and since the hens are trying to pair, they are focusing in on the sore and pecking at it.

Just my thoughts.

2. Coturnix Quail

Coturnix Quail Songster

Jul 3, 2016
    Thank you. I wonder what its gonna be like when I get my chickens.. A lot more problems? Probably.. Anyway, I think it was the ratio causing the problem. I have 2 isolated that are healing right now.. So, I guess I'll have to clean out the other cage to put them in. Should I get rid of some males? The ratio is not right on its own. I have 4 guys and 6 girls.. Whats the max number or males I can keep? More questions to come [​IMG] Thanks!

3. Dani xxx

Dani xxx Songster

Oct 23, 2016
    Farnham common bucks uk
    I have 1 male and 6 girls in a 3 meter long including chicken coop by 1.5 metres wide and 80cm tall I have x2 grasses for them to hide under, x 2 igloo hideaways, a sandbath, a feeder and waterer and I scatter feed treats now as one female attacked another female I assume over food 3 weeks after I got them. I would remove some boys :)

4. BobDBirdDog

BobDBirdDog Songster

Jun 8, 2014
    Tennessee
    Right now I have a 1 to 1 ratio on the bobwhites and none of them are wearing boxing gloves at the moment, but give it time. If my numbers were up to par, I would be having a dinner plate full of the little fellers to balance out the ratio but I need them all for breeders this year. I changed stock this year and they were hard to find replacements so I am stuck with what I was able to pick up. In saying that I have pairs and they are plump little birdies.

5. Coturnix Quail

Coturnix Quail Songster

Jul 3, 2016
    Great! I MISCOUNTED! I have 5 girls and 5 boys! Even worse! One thing you should know is I will have 1 guy and 2 girls seperated from the flock because they have these weird pink things on their beak, and it spreads. So during summer I'm most likely going to be putting them in one of the big dog cages inside the coop extended up. That means I would be left with 4 guys and 3 girls..I really do not want to eat them but if I have to for the flocks safety, I will. Would any of you know how to cure this? Thanks!

6. BobDBirdDog

BobDBirdDog Songster

Jun 8, 2014
    Tennessee
    AS for the little pink thing on the beak that you spoke of, I (we) can only imagine what you are describing or referencing. A good detailed photo or two would help confirm what you are describing.
    Are you sure its a growth or not just a normal occurrence. Pics please?

7. Coturnix Quail

Coturnix Quail Songster

Jul 3, 2016
    Here you are.. I took these maybe a month ago? But if you need new ones I can post them. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Coturnix Quail

Coturnix Quail Songster

Jul 3, 2016
    Thats like the clearest I could get because they move so much [​IMG]

9. BobDBirdDog

BobDBirdDog Songster

Jun 8, 2014
    Tennessee
    I am just wondering if they are of some cross breed causing the growth (natural) such as a partial cone? but I doubt it.I cant remeber ever seeing such on the coturnix I use to raise.

Not to be Dr. Doom but perhaps some mite or parasite worm. I did find the links below that might offer some insight. IMO.....Ivermectrin type medication is a good solution.
    I would powder all the nest and area with some seven dust, and set up a sandbox with powdered seven and keep it in a dry spot.

Your doing right by isolating the birds until you find out whats going on.

This link gives you a round of search results."Burrowing Mite" using the DuckDuckGo search engine.
    https://duckduckgo.com/?q=burrowing+mites+in+birds&t=ffnt&ia=web

and below is a good short article about the mite. Quick and direct.

http://www.vetzone.com.au/Birds/Art...ArticleID/1651/Scaly-Mite-in-Budgerigars.aspx

and lastly, one you might consider for human considerations and future refs....

http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/injuries-poisoning/bites-and-stings/mite-bites

10. Coturnix Quail

Coturnix Quail Songster

Jul 3, 2016
    Thanks for that. It doesn't affect their behavior or health. I'll make sure to read those articles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: