Male Quail Being Absolutely Vicious To Others

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Coturnix Quail, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Quails1

Quails1 Songster

May 15, 2015
    Walnut, CA
    What kind of quails are you keeping? Be aware, though, coturnix and bobwhite quails tend to be aggressive towards each other a lot (speaking from my experience)!

2. Coturnix Quail

Coturnix Quail Songster

Jul 3, 2016
    I keep Coturnix..

3. Quails1

Quails1 Songster

May 15, 2015
    Walnut, CA
    Coturnix quails are a cannibalistic species of quail! We've had them before and the males especially crow non-stop. So did the bobwhites. They'll fight each other to the point that a bird gets scalped or even blinded too! Our California quails and blue-scaled quails didn't do any of this; they weren't noisy and mean to each other.

4. Binki

Binki Songster

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    How old are they now? If the waterer is "way too big" for a cage with ten quail then perhaps the cage is not big enough... But your biggest problem is what we've been telling you for months.. You can't keep male quail together without risking probable fighting.

You have five males that is the problem, it's upsetting everyone and no wonder the females are pecking at the males they're probably being harassed all the time with the fighting and mating x5.

Pick one male for the females, have a big enough cage for them with hiding spots and always provide proper food and fresh water and sand and you should improve your chances of keeping quail peacefully.

You aren't keeping them properly now and that's the problem so it has to change for them to settle down - figure out what to do with the remaining four ASAP.

Sorry if this comes across as harsh but you knew this would probably happen keeping them this ratio as adults :/

5. Coturnix Quail

Coturnix Quail Songster

Jul 3, 2016
    Hm.. Yeah.. I just really wanted to keep all of them because the guys are pretty sweet, just not to each other.. I prefer putting the water outside now so they can reach their little necks and take sips without drowning. Also, I was going to use that waterer yesterday, but after I put some water in it, it was over filling wayy too much, and later I found it cracked a lot. I was hoping that when I put them in the coop things would be better.. Also, it would be remaining 2 since one of my guys has that weird pink lump on his beak like the two girls. I guess I'll have to find which ones are worthy of keeping, and either eat or sell them. Also, they're like almost 5-6 months now. I think the coop will be very big for just 1 guy and 3 girls. Also, what do I do with the pink lumped beaks during summer? I can't place them in the coop or it will spread.. I'll probably hatch some more eggs if they're fertile and see what I get.. Do Coturnix go broody? One day during winter I saw this girl sitting in the straw, adjusting it too, and when I looked under her she had an egg, but unfortunately, it wasn't fertile. Also, how long do they live? I've gotten mixed answers.

Oh dear.. I do hear them crow and even with the ratio correct before, they fought like crazy..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: