Male Quail Upsetting Neighbour

Try adding some hiding places and see if that makes a difference. If they haven't crowed that early before, it could be that daylight is coming earlier, or it could be that a predator has been hanging around.
Okay that's a good shout will give it a go once I'm home. Yeah the daylight is coming at 4am now which is why I think it's connected to that and why I was wondering if a blackout works. Appreciate the help thank you

Time of year-spring-more crowing. I was just outside standing by my quail pen listening to the roo crow. It is hard for me to believe that anyone would complain, even with three crowing. The mockingbirds and whip-poor-will make a whole lot more noise day and night than my coturnix and button quail. We had to install a yard light to prevent thefts so the yard never gets completely dark. As a result my quail, also, crow at odd hours not far from my bedroom window. I have to concentrate to hear them, whereas the whip-poor-will does wake me; but I love their sounds and often listen for the calls.

If money is an issue, stapling fabric over the interior shed walls will reduce the "noise".

Time of year-spring-more crowing. I was just outside standing by my quail pen listening to the roo crow. It is hard for me to believe that anyone would complain, even with three crowing. The mockingbirds and whip-poor-will make a whole lot more noise day and night than my coturnix and button quail. We had to install a yard light to prevent thefts so the yard never gets completely dark. As a result my quail, also, crow at odd hours not far from my bedroom window. I have to concentrate to hear them, whereas the whip-poor-will does wake me; but I love their sounds and often listen for the calls.

If money is an issue, stapling fabric over the interior shed walls will reduce the "noise".
I think because we're in mobile homes the walls are a bit more thin, and our shed is metal I don't know if that contributes to the sound seeming louder. Personally I like the sound and don't find it intrusive but now they've complained it just makes me almost panic. Don't want someone telling me I can't carry on my hobby!

Money isn't particularly an issue I just don't want to spend too much because then I may as well just buy hatching eggs (if that makes sense, I won't save ££ from getting my own). Is any sort of fabric good enough? Only struggle might be sticking it to the metal walls of the shed. Thank you for your help!

Any cloth; a coarse weave probably better (old towels would be ideal). The metal would likely make the sound louder. I'd use water based caulk to adhere the cloth to the metal. That way should you want the walls bare again, the caulk would scrape off easily.

Mine are in my back yard, good distance from my house, with a shed between, in an open pen with a roof and I can hear them carrying on when I'm in my living room, which is at the front of my house, above my TV sometimes. I mostly blame my house being old and single pane windows. But they are definitely capable of being obnoxiously noisy in my opinion.

Don't really have anything helpful to say, but I get it lol.

I'm actually getting rid of all of my coturnix and moving to bobwhite and some other new world breeds and their annoying crow or whatever you call it played its part in that decision. Even though I had them for several years, so it obviously didn't bother me too much. It was just one reason in a short list of reasons. On the noise front, I've found the others just blend in more and are less annoying/attention grabbing.

(I didn't see if you said coturnix? realized that before I hit enter)

Mine are in my back yard, good distance from my house, with a shed between, in an open pen with a roof and I can hear them carrying on when I'm in my living room, which is at the front of my house, above my TV sometimes. I mostly blame my house being old and single pane windows. But they are definitely capable of being obnoxiously noisy in my opinion.

Don't really have anything helpful to say, but I get it lol.

I'm actually getting rid of all of my coturnix and moving to bobwhite and some other new world breeds and their annoying crow or whatever you call it played its part in that decision. Even though I had them for several years, so it obviously didn't bother me too much. It was just one reason in a short list of reasons. On the noise front, I've found the others just blend in more and are less annoying/attention grabbing.

(I didn't see if you said coturnix? realized that before I hit enter)
Glad I'm not the only one 😂 yes mine are Coturnix and I have also considered swapping just would love to try and resolve the issue first.. but we will see lol

I have RESOLVED the issue completely!

Firstly, I tried to use towels between the cages to stop the males seeing each other and this made absolutely NO difference lol.

So, I covered the whole cage in towels and used clothes pegs to hold them on the cage. Beforehand I put low light Christmas lights across the tops of the cages.

Now, their timer will turn the Christmas lights on at 7:30am. At night, I close the shed around 7:30pm and cover the cages with their towels (leaving the Christmas lights on). At 10:00pm their lights will automatically turn off. This gives them 14 and a half hours of light.

When the lights go off, they are noisy for about 5 minutes or so, and when they go on they go crazy! Since that's at 7:30am no one can complain! Otherwise we probably hear the three 5 or so times a day. So, problem solved!!!

Issue: Our three male quail have started to crow overnight, generally from around 4am when the sun rises. I've tried blocking most the light out. I cannot move the cages as they are attached.

Information:
  • We have 6 cages, 3 on top and 3 on bottom. The top 3 are currently empty, the bottom 3 have 5 females and 1 male in each. The 3 cages are all attached side by side and I cannot separate them.
  • They are kept in their own shed and I open it every morning at 7am to allow for natural light.
  • These 3 groups are planned to be our fertile egg layers and are doing a decent job on that so far, always have food too.
  • They are free to crow all they want after 7am, it's just beforehand that's causing the issue.
  • In every other way so far they're all so well behaved with each other and their hens are very happy!
  • My ideas were to cut and hang towels in between the cages to stop the males seeing each other and the other females (although they would still hear each other?). My other idea was to buy some huge towels and just cover the cages completely at night?

Any help or advice would be awesome, my previous males were almost silent so this is a new issue for me. Thank you
My male quail wouldn't let me sleep all night so i put a blanket over the front of the cage like a budgy, it stoped crowing.

My male quail wouldn't let me sleep all night so i put a blanket over the front of the cage like a budgy, it stoped crowing.
Yep! Perfect solution.

I have RESOLVED the issue completely!

Firstly, I tried to use towels between the cages to stop the males seeing each other and this made absolutely NO difference lol.

So, I covered the whole cage in towels and used clothes pegs to hold them on the cage. Beforehand I put low light Christmas lights across the tops of the cages.

Now, their timer will turn the Christmas lights on at 7:30am. At night, I close the shed around 7:30pm and cover the cages with their towels (leaving the Christmas lights on). At 10:00pm their lights will automatically turn off. This gives them 14 and a half hours of light.

When the lights go off, they are noisy for about 5 minutes or so, and when they go on they go crazy! Since that's at 7:30am no one can complain! Otherwise we probably hear the three 5 or so times a day. So, problem solved!!!

I want to help but I hatched this guy out two years ago and have been keeping him a secret in my apartments 😂

Attachments

• IMG_20220802_070338024.jpg
    IMG_20220802_070338024.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220802_070334040.jpg
    IMG_20220802_070334040.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom