Male specific behavior and traits in poults? Is there such a thing?

Noellereagan

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jun 20, 2018
Big Bend, Wisconsin
I see this topic a lot about turkeys.

People ask about sexing poults anywhere from 5 weeks to 15 from what I see based on behavior and physical appearance.

I’ve recently learned that hens can display/ fan out and especially when they’re from the 2 to 5 week range in my experience. There was a time I thought 7 of my 8 poults were Toms.

At 8 weeks, I have four that no longer display, they didn’t lose their head feathers, and they don’t gooble. Most are the smaller ones. But one is good size. They do have more delicate looking legs and feet. I assume these are my hens.

Now, as for my big boys, they turn bright red (like a fire engine), spit, drum, fan out, and strut to impress me it seems. And the more I “encourage” them by telling them “pretty boy" in a soft approving tone, and pet them, the more they get going. If I put my hands out, palms up, they jump in my hands and roost on my arms and just lay there. They're too big for me to stand and hold them anymore (and no, they're not pleasing themselves. I have had so many people ask me if they try to "hump" on me. Do they actually do that? If so, how does one break that habit? I've yet to have that happen thankfully.) Also, these four have almost bald hearts- with the exception of a very narrow mohawk, and snoods that hang down their beak.

Anyway, I presume these are Toms. Am I correct in thinking that:

1) Hens and Toms both fan out/ strut - especially when they're in the two to five week range?
2) hens are a little more delicate, especially in legs and feet?
3) ONLY toms strut while spitting, turning red, ext?
4) ONLY toms gobble?
5) late developing toms can have a mohawk, even if it's not common, but if other male specific traits are all present youre safe to assume they're male?

And bonus questions:

6) are Toms usually more outgoing with humans?
7) do toms REALLY try to "hump" humans and other things like basketballs like I've heard or is that a sick rumor?
7A) if they do, how do you break that habit in a hurry? (All I know is the day one of my toms humps my leg we have an issue:) )

Thanks for the help!

1. Yes both hens and toms strut. A lot during that age because it is dominance behavior and they're working out the pecking order.
2. They are more slim and trim especially in the legs, usually have a narrower and more delicate head.
3. Yes only Tom's will make the "sshhhkk" and drum noise as they strut. Either gender can have a huge array of head changing color, mood depending although toms are a much more vibrant red.
4. Either gender can gobble. Mainly toms but hens can too. There is quite a difference in pitch and volume so you can tell whether it was a hen or Tom gobble.
5. Some toms are late bloomers and will take longer to show full tom characteristics.
6. In my experience hens are much sweeter and personable but toms can be as well, they're too busy being fabulous most of the time tho so they can be a little standoffish.
7. Yes toms will try to mate inanimate objects as well as their owners ;) I have a super sweet blue palm that is very polite when asking to get lucky with me lol. I press my hand under his breast then he does the sexy stompy dance with the butt squeaks
7a. Not sure how to break them of it. Dont imprint them or handle them would be my advice. I personally dont mind it and find it quite entertaining. If anything, stand up and look big, push them away.

1. Yes both hens and toms strut. A lot during that age because it is dominance behavior and they're working out the pecking order.
2. They are more slim and trim especially in the legs, usually have a narrower and more delicate head.
3. Yes only Tom's will make the "" and drum noise as they strut. Either gender can have a huge array of head changing color, mood depending although toms are a much more vibrant red.
4. Either gender can gobble. Mainly toms but hens can too. There is quite a difference in pitch and volume so you can tell whether it was a hen or Tom gobble.
5. Some toms are late bloomers and will take longer to show full tom characteristics.
6. In my experience hens are much sweeter and personable but toms can be as well, they're too busy being fabulous most of the time tho so they can be a little standoffish.
7. Yes toms will try to mate inanimate objects as well as their owners ;) I have a super sweet blue palm that is very polite when asking to get lucky with me lol. I press my hand under his breast then he does the sexy stompy dance with the butt squeaks
7a. Not sure how to break them of it. Dont imprint them or handle them would be my advice. I personally dont mind it and find it quite entertaining. If anything, stand up and look big, push them away.
All great advice. Thanks for taking so much time to answer. You're awesome.
So early on like this (8 weeks) the spitting noise is truly the only identifying trademark aside from a completely bald head?
As far as 7) so that's what that story dance was eh? Little pervert. Whats a butt squeak? Lmao.
As far as 7a) way to late. They are imprinted as all hell. And I love them to pieces. They're all pets- crazy or not crazy- they are. So if crazy food bills, lots of turkey manure, lots of time and horney toms is the price I pay for awesome pets- I guess I can deal with a humping turkey or two. Maybe, I too, will learn to be amused by it. I guess I already think it's kind of funny by the way you put it- "sexy stompy dance and butt squeaks. Omg. I'm literally laughing out loud.

Per your request.

Hens can and do turn red and display. I have never had a hen gobble although some claim it is possible.

Hens will have a mohawk. Toms will go bald although not all do so as early as others. I have seen toms that seemed to have a mohawk but it was just the skin pigmentation and no actual feathers.

Toms will get heavier and bigger caruncles than hens but hens can get larger caruncles when they are more mature.

Toms will grow spurs while most hens won't.

Toms will grow a beard. Hens can also grow a beard but it won't get as heavy and thick as a tom's beard.

Mature hens will do a horizontal tail fan. I have never seen a mature tom do a horizontal tail fan. Both can and will do the vertical tail fan.

The snood on a tom will swell and shrink with his mood. A tom's snood will extend far past the end of his beak. When it is retracted it will form a cone. A hen can also swell and shrink her snood but it is unlikely to ever swell past the end of her beak. In most cases when her snood is retracted, it will return to a horizontal J shape.

Mature hens that are dark colored will have a light colored lower edge on their breast feathers. Mature toms that are dark colored will have a dark colored lower edge on their breast feathers.

Toms will grow bigger than hens. Toms will develop heavier legs than hens.

There is also the difference in their excrement. Hens will drop theirs in a pile while a tom's excrement can be long and straight and may have a bit of a hook at the end.

There is @Celie method. Be sure to read her second post as it clarifies her first post.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/turkeys-for-2013.725829/page-276#post-11833820

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/turkeys-for-2013.725829/page-276#post-11836985

Per your request.

Hens can and do turn red and display. I have never had a hen gobble although some claim it is possible.

Hens will have a mohawk. Toms will go bald although not all do so as early as others. I have seen toms that seemed to have a mohawk but it was just the skin pigmentation and no actual feathers.

Toms will get heavier and bigger caruncles than hens but hens can get larger caruncles when they are more mature.

Toms will grow spurs while most hens won't.

Toms will grow a beard. Hens can also grow a beard but it won't get as heavy and thick as a tom's beard.

Mature hens will do a horizontal tail fan. I have never seen a mature tom do a horizontal tail fan. Both can and will do the vertical tail fan.

The snood on a tom will swell and shrink with his mood. A tom's snood will extend far past the end of his beak. When it is retracted it will form a cone. A hen can also swell and shrink her snood but it is unlikely to ever swell past the end of her beak. In most cases when her snood is retracted, it will return to a horizontal J shape.

Mature hens that are dark colored will have a light colored lower edge on their breast feathers. Mature toms that are dark colored will have a dark colored lower edge on their breast feathers.

Toms will grow bigger than hens. Toms will develop heavier legs than hens.

There is also the difference in their excrement. Hens will drop theirs in a pile while a tom's excrement can be long and straight and may have a bit of a hook at the end.

There is @Celie method. Be sure to read her second post as it clarifies her first post.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/turkeys-for-2013.725829/page-276#post-11833820

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/turkeys-for-2013.725829/page-276#post-11836985
Thank you

Ahahaha oh yes. Wait until you hear the butt squeaks, craziest thing ever. When the toms get really excited either before or after the deed, their vent squeaks. I love the sexy stompy dance, they look hilarious hunched over drumming their wings and stomping their feet. Oh the things you learn about birds....

Ahahaha oh yes. Wait until you hear the butt squeaks, craziest thing ever. When the toms get really excited either before or after the deed, their vent squeaks. I love the sexy stompy dance, they look hilarious hunched over drumming their wings and stomping their feet. Oh the things you learn about birds....
OK, I admit, I am amused by the thought already LOL

Back
Top Bottom