males for warmth?

Be-lee518

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 12, 2014
CA
Hello, I am ordering days away from now! I've heard about the males added in for warmth during shipping, will the males be taken out after shipping? I may even be calling today, so if I can get even one post that describes this to me, it will be appreciated!!

The males will arrive along with the chicks that you have ordered - assuming that they will be adding some for added warmth. They become yours. I hope that this is what you were asking.

images

Welcome to BYC!

Some hatcheries include what they call "Packing Peanuts" in your order. This is for a few reasons..not only to add more chicks for shipping to keep them warm, but because they can throw in a few roos that would other wise not be ordered or wanted. So you are doing these roos a favor with giving them life. So be prepared for at least on roo in your order. Many times these extras are rare or special breeds like Top Hats or Show Girls, etc...They can be fun to own!

If you need any tips or hints on raising your new babies, stop by our learning center here on BYC for some great reads on all the aspects of keeping poultry..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Make sure to call your PO and warn them that chicks are coming and have them call you the moment they arrive that day. When you get them home, dip everybodies beak in the water first thing before you let them eat. With hold the fee for about one hour so they get hydrated before eating. This will help to prevent pasty butt.

Good luck with your new babies and welcome to our flock!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Some good advice above. Not all hatcheries add extra males, and those that will do tell you they will, you can opt out of them, they are usually added to small orders... so double check the policy of the hatchery you are ordering from. You might want to check out the Hatcheries forum, there are threads on most of the big hatcheries on there www.backyardchickens.com/f/16/chicken-breeders-amp-hatcheries

welcome-byc.gif
Good luck with your poultry raising adventures, and I hope you find everything you need to know. Don't forget to take a look at BYC's very useful learning center (If you haven't already)! The learning center as well as the forum should answer your questions! Glad to have you here! See you around with the flock.

Soooo..... I got the males, and now they are for sale, pics will be posted! there are 4 of them(I am keeping one)!

Be sure they ARE males before selling them all? Sometimes you can be fooled. They are very nice looking chicks. You'd do best trying to sell them locally - because there are so many cockerels for sale or rehoming that it's unlikely anyone would pay to have them shipped.

Hatcheries do call them' shipping peanuts' which shows you how little they regard males- still it's better I suppose that just killing them outright. Welcome to the flock and hope you will find good homes for them.

Back
Top Bottom