Males or females?

FarmGyrl

In the Brooder
Jul 10, 2015
I have these three beautiful babies and one started crowing this morning. :( Guessing at least one is a male and I have a pretty good idea who, I would just like some experienced people to give me feed back please. I know these aren't the best pictures. If I can get some one to catch them later, I can take better pictures. Thanks in advamce.

Thank you. I was kind of hoping just the closest Brahma was a boy. Their wattles look different on each one. One's is bigger than the other. So that's where I am confused. I believe the silkie is a girl. (That's what I'm really hoping for anyway lol)
The two Brahmas look like cockerels, I'm no Silkie expert so I can't really help you with that one.

I second Chicken Girl1, both Brahmas are boys. You can see saddle feathers on both. Silkies are very hard to sex - usually by crowing or laying an egg ;)

Thanks for your help. It's not what I wanted for my babies but I do know a good home they will go to. But now my silkie will be lonely. :( My other chickens haven't totally accepted the 3 of them yet and now 2 will have to leave. Hopefully they will be nice to the silkie or I may have to have an inside chicken. ;)
I second Chicken Girl1,  both Brahmas are boys. You can see saddle feathers on both. Silkies are very hard to sex - usually by crowing or laying an egg ;)

I agree.

If you could get a good head forward shot of the silkie - we could get a better guess at sex. If possible, an assistant could hold her crest up, so we can see any comb development clearly.

PS other breeds tend to bully silkies(and polish) because they look so unlike other breeds and are docile. Silkies do make excellent house chickens, and accept confinement.

You might check out "people with house chickens," thread. My friend has 2 serama and 2 silkie house chickens at this time. She has had house chickens of various breeds for over 25 years.

This is the front of the silkie. It's not very big. Almost flat.
I agree. 

If you could get a good head forward shot of the silkie - we could get a better guess at sex.  If possible, an assistant could hold her crest up, so we can see any comb development  clearly.

Back
Top Bottom