Malformed leg?

Jul 24, 2019
Boerne TX
our friends get the extra chickens from school hatching projects that don’t find homes. They got this one when it was about a week and a half-2weeks old with a bunch of barred rocks. It’s always had the leg issue, but I want to know if it’s a disease like merecks or just crippled, because I’m not sure if they want to keep her. Sorry for the bad pic :caf
I’ll try to get some more today :frow.
Also, and guess at what breed it is? I think that they’re 7-8 weeks old.

its a pure Barred rock? we had a chicken with hip problems due to being bred with a bantam and an Orpington, he constantly stepped on his own feet and tripped and fell. :hugsbest wishes :)

633ADE51-AD40-4F88-B38D-752836329074.jpeg
Oh oops :lau I meant to post a picture!

Attachments

• B1BDC5CE-1EFF-46BE-A92D-3673DDDD523B.jpeg
    B1BDC5CE-1EFF-46BE-A92D-3673DDDD523B.jpeg
    387.1 KB · Views: 1
It's possible that the egg from which this bird was hatched didn't have enough nutrients in it to ensure proper development; A hen that is malnourished cannot put into her eggs the nutrients that she simply doesn't have to spare. B-Vitamins are typically the culprit when leg issues of her offspring are involved. Sometimes, but not always, this condition can be reversed in the chicks if treated immediately, or soon after hatched. Improving the diet of the hen will also remedy the problem for her future generations.
I'm not saying that this IS the problem, but rather, that it's very likely to have been the problem.
If however this is the issue, then at two months old, treating with vitamin supplements may or may not fix the issue with the leg, but it certainly wouldn't hurt.

Ok, so we don’t have to be worried about diseases? That’s what I thought, but because we got them from a preschool, we have no idea where they got the eggs. She seems to get around, she just kind of hobbles everywhere. Any idea of the breed?

If you could get a picture straight on of the chicken standing, it might help to know if it is a leg bone deformity or a riboflavin (vitamin B 2) deficiency. The curled toes looks a bit like riboflavin deficiency, but keg bone deofrmities are common. Leg problems in general are common with incubation problems with humidity. Using some vitamin B complex 1/4 tablet daily crushed or ground onto the feed would be something to try for a few weeks. Varus or valgus deformity which you can read about in the following article can occur in one or both legs:
https://www.researchgate.net/public..._of_the_Intertarsal_Joint_in_Broiler_Chickens

upload_2019-12-23_14-31-7.jpeg

Note the picture lower left of varus deformity in the right leg that could be similar to what your chicken has.

Back
Top Bottom