Mallard adopted 2 Pekins, will she leave in the fall?

ClapperCounty

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 14, 2013
Yorktown, VA
Three weeks ago we got 2 mallard ducklings that were 4 weeks old. Two weeks ago we got 1 day old Pekin ducklings. We tried putting all the ducks together but had to separate the ducks since the mallards were being very aggresive toward the Pekins. So we put the Pekins with our 8 chicks and everyone was content. Last weekend our dog killed one of the mallards. We put the single mallard back with the chicks and ducklings but in a dog crate. After a few days we have let her rejoin the community on a trial basis and have let her stay as she is no longer aggressive toward the chicks and ducklings. In fact, the Pekins have begun to follow her around. They forage together, sleep together and seem very content to all be together. If they become separated or cannot see one another they all begin to peep very loudly until the 3 are reunited again. The mallard will occasionally lunge at the chicks but not as aggresively as before and only when they come near the ducklings. Some of the chicks are also very attached to the Pekins and try to snuggle with them often. Now that the Pekins and mallard have bonded will she fly away in the fall?

Three weeks ago we got 2 mallard ducklings that were 4 weeks old. Two weeks ago we got 1 day old Pekin ducklings. We tried putting all the ducks together but had to separate the ducks since the mallards were being very aggresive toward the Pekins. So we put the Pekins with our 8 chicks and everyone was content. Last weekend our dog killed one of the mallards. We put the single mallard back with the chicks and ducklings but in a dog crate. After a few days we have let her rejoin the community on a trial basis and have let her stay as she is no longer aggressive toward the chicks and ducklings. In fact, the Pekins have begun to follow her around. They forage together, sleep together and seem very content to all be together. If they become separated or cannot see one another they all begin to peep very loudly until the 3 are reunited again. The mallard will occasionally lunge at the chicks but not as aggresively as before and only when they come near the ducklings. Some of the chicks are also very attached to the Pekins and try to snuggle with them often. Now that the Pekins and mallard have bonded will she fly away in the fall?
She may but then again she knows where her home is and she has a family not just her Pekins but you too so hopefully she'll stay. and
welcome-byc.gif

welcome-byc.gif
Well, there are 'mallards' and then they are 'mallards'. If she is from wild stock there is a possibility that she will eventually fly away. If she is from commercially raised stock she is probably so many generations away from wild that she will not leave. The pekins will become her flock, and she will be reluctant to leave them.

I have mallards, pekin, and pekin mixes. None of my mallards left for the winter. I also free range all day. We did loose two during the winter to a bald eagle.

I have two flying female mallards who live in a fully enclosed pen area. I have had a terrible time introducing my 3 week old pekins to my eight week old mallards. The mallards gang up terribly on the pekins ! I try every day to introduce The pekins to my female mallard mafia but it ends terribly. I am hoping once the pekins are fully feathered things will change. Eventually the one duck enclosure I have will have to house my tiny flock.

we have mallards and they stick right around..of course we live in florida..but in the winter months the lake gets many many more mallards than i have here in the summer and spring..but still my mallards pretty much stay here..i raised them, they have a flock with pekins and buffs and runners and they stay here.

Back
Top Bottom