Mallard Duck I know NOTHING help and input

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bbqsfarm, Feb 25, 2013.

1. bbqsfarm

bbqsfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2012
    So we have a mallard hen that adopted us last August. Just one. Well the last couple of days she has not been around much. Well today I found her on a nest of 23 eggs under the cedar tree. With no male here I am guessing they are NOT fertile. But.... A couple of times in the last month I have seen a male hanging around for a day or so.

Just curious should I leave them or gather them or ?? I never expected her to stick around for one and for 2 much less nest and lay eggs. Some days she is wild as can be but for a week or so about a month ago she was letting me pet her. Now nothing again. Meaning you can not get to close.

She sleeps with our cats and eats cat food along with the bird feed I bought. Trying to figure out what to do with the eggs. How long they would be good etc. I doubt she laid 23 eggs today (LOL).

thanks

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    My first concern would be her safety. If she's sitting on a nest, she is extremely vulnerable to attack. So I would first figure out how to keep her safe especially at night.

If she's a wild mallard, there may be restrictions on what you can do, technically-legally.

If she's a domestic stray, you could try bringing the eggs in if you want to hatch them. That opens up a whole can of worms regarding incubation and brooding. Steep learning curve. And an amazing experience that for some becomes addicting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by