Mallard duck might need help hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ciggynel, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Assist hatch

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Leave it to hatch on own

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ciggynel

Ciggynel In the Brooder

Apr 2, 2018
    Texas
    AF70C4A0-D645-47E4-8A69-332F87214EC7.jpeg I have a mallard duck that pip externally about 36 hours ago it only had tiny hole after 24 hours. I removed shell to make sure it was ok. Still chirping but not kicking out. Now going on 36 hours but has not completed hatch what should I do? Humidity and temp looks good.

2. Rosypetals

Rosypetals Songster

Jan 11, 2018
    Don’t assist too muc, though, just break a few small pieces a little at a time so that mor then a third of the shell is gone.

3. Ciggynel

Ciggynel In the Brooder

Apr 2, 2018
    Texas
    I did a little but it started to bleed very slightly i moisten membrane and put him back in incubator.

4. ThreePumpkins

ThreePumpkins Chirping

If there is no sign of blood vessels in the membrane I would begin to assist and there are a lot of resources here on BYC for helping. I try to get to the point the duckling will kick out of the shell on their own...sometimes they need a little assistance getting there.

5. Ciggynel

Ciggynel In the Brooder

Apr 2, 2018
    Texas
    The poor thing made it out but I am not sure if he is suppose to look that way on the back side and I have another egg barely starting to pip shell. I hope it does better than this one. The two eggs were saved from a guy on a lawn mower who did not care what he mowed over and had destroyed one nest. I would hate to think they wont make it. Hatching ducks is stressful. IMG_1863.jpg

6. Ciggynel

Ciggynel In the Brooder

Apr 2, 2018
    Texas
    Just a quick update both ducklings are doing great and running around healthy and happy with no issues!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: