Mallard duck nesting

dave1212ish

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 27, 2014
Louisiana
Can anyone help me? One of my mallard ducks started a nest and laid 2 beautiful green eggs, then all of a sudden stopped laying. She still goes to her nest but hasn't laid again in 4 days. I was hoping she would go broody and hatch ducklings, is there anything I can do to resume her nesting cycle? She is 7 months old

Is it possible she is hiding them? Reason I ask is because I have read that a lot... also one of my birds used to use her nest, but then went and made her own and I had to hunt for them. lol!

Dave, I just had a disappointment myself with my mallards. 1st nest had a solid 13 eggs. She stopped sitting around 2weeks before the due date. They were highly undeveloped due to the cold I imagine. Second nester never stopped laying was up to about 20 eggs. Made the decision to remove them so I could start collecting from zero again. Definitely to cold now. Getting ice here in the mornings.

Is it possible she is hiding them? Reason I ask is because I have read that a lot... also one of my birds used to use her nest, but then went and made her own and I had to hunt for them. lol! 
I've checked all over the pen, they aren't hidden. It's almost as if she's just given up

Dave, I just had a disappointment myself with my mallards. 1st nest had a solid 13 eggs. She stopped sitting around 2weeks before the due date. They were highly undeveloped due to the cold I imagine. Second nester never stopped laying was up to about 20 eggs. Made the decision to remove them so I could start collecting from zero again. Definitely to cold now. Getting ice here in the mornings.
We've had many in the past stop nesting due to ants, predators, rain, ex. But she's inside a pen unlike the others so no reason.. :(

We've had many in the past stop nesting due to ants, predators, rain, ex. But she's inside a pen unlike the others so no reason..
sad.png
Time of year may have something to do with it, Mallards like Muscovy's are seasonal layers which means they usually start laying in spring and end up in fall taking winter off to migrate and rest. Only thing I can think of is she laid the 2 eggs which wasn't even norm for this time of year but did anyway but is not going to start back till late winter early spring which is really the best time anyway weather should begin to warm and that's when ducklings have a much better chance of survival.7 months is still pretty young so give her till spring I bet you'll see plenty of eggs a broody and ducklings. Do you have a drake?

Young mallards like your girl are very curious but also ignorant, they are still learning what to do with the eggs and might try to brood, but being so young and since it's so cold this time of year they are more likely to abandon the nest, but don't worry she will probably lay again in spring and possibly a more successful hatch will come too.

has she been courting lately? This is usually the time that the females make there choice and pick their mates. If she is courting that could also be a distraction from the eggs so she gave up on them to start a new family that will come in spring :) Best of luck hope.

Time of year may have something to do with it, Mallards like Muscovy's are seasonal layers which means they usually start laying in spring and end up in fall taking winter off to migrate and rest. Only thing I can think of is she laid the 2 eggs which wasn't even norm for this time of year but did anyway but is not going to start back till late winter early spring which is really the best time anyway weather should begin to warm and that's when ducklings have a much better chance of survival.7 months is still pretty young so give her till spring I bet you'll see plenty of eggs a broody and ducklings. Do you have a drake?
Thanks! She's stopped completely. I have 15 hens and 9 drakes :)

Back
Top Bottom