Mallard Duck Question

halecards

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 17, 2011
One of our neighbors raises mallard ducks. In a few days, he's going to give me some hatching eggs to hatch out and I've hatched chickens before, but not ducks. Anyway, I'm wondering when the male mallards feathers will change to the gray body, green head, etc. We had mallards in the spring and summer of '09, and I can't remember when their feathers changed from the female look to the male look. The only reason I'm concerned is because I plan on showing the male and female mallards at my state fair which is the second week of August. Do you think the male mallards would have there mature feathers by mid August if they hatched out on April 1st? Thanks!

One of our neighbors raises mallard ducks. In a few days, he's going to give me some hatching eggs to hatch out and I've hatched chickens before, but not ducks. Anyway, I'm wondering when the male mallards feathers will change to the gray body, green head, etc. We had mallards in the spring and summer of '09, and I can't remember when their feathers changed from the female look to the male look. The only reason I'm concerned is because I plan on showing the male and female mallards at my state fair which is the second week of August. Do you think the male mallards would have there mature feathers by mid August if they hatched out on April 1st? Thanks!
I can't remember the exact age but I could have sworn by then my Mallards would have had their adult plumage.

I can't remember the exact age but I could have sworn by then my Mallards would have had their adult plumage.
That's what I was thinking! Thanks!
smile.png

Almost certainly the males will be showing by late July. Three monthes and adult feathering..... Good Luck at the fair!

Almost certainly the males will be showing by late July. Three monthes and adult feathering..... Good Luck at the fair!

Thank you! I did show my two white pekins last year at the state fair! Has anyone else shown ducks at a poultry show before?

Back
Top Bottom