Mallard Duck Regulations

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DanAndQuails, Mar 22, 2013.

1. DanAndQuails

DanAndQuails Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2012
    I recently bought two mallard ducklings from a Tractor Supply Co. here in New Jersey. They did not come marked in any way (no back toes missing, no bands, no pinioning) but I saw these websites after getting the ducks:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/50/21.13
    http://cfr.vlex.com/vid/exceptions-captive-reared-mallard-ducks-19894607
    http://federal.eregulations.us/cfr/section/title50/chapterI/part21/sect21.14?selectdate=1/2/2013

Do I need to mark my ducks? I don't want to get into any trouble for owning them. I have the receipt from Tractor Supply, but it is not specific and I did not get any paperwork from them about the ducks. They're probably 4 weeks old (not over 6 weeks old) and I really don't want to pinion them or have to remove a back toe. Should I band them? If I should band them, then where would I get the bands from? Do I need to get the bands through the state? Thanks! All help is appreciated!

[​IMG]

2. DenverDucky

DenverDucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Colorado
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  3. DanAndQuails

Apr 29, 2012
    Thanks! I just sent them what I posted on here. [​IMG]

4. DenverDucky

Mar 28, 2012
    Colorado
    I would also call Tractor Supply. You might find out where they got the mallard ducklings from. You are wise to wonder about the markings, it's what shows the law that they are domestic mallards, not wild.

out of curiosity... Did you get a receipt and what did it say? Does it say mallard on it?

5. DenverDucky

Mar 28, 2012
    Colorado
    If you could pass on what FWS has to say that would help a lot of others facing the same issue of buying an unmarked mallard. Thanks and good luck [​IMG]

6. DanAndQuails

Apr 29, 2012
    That's another good idea. The people there seemed to know what they were talking about. Maybe if I have a proof of purchase from the store then that's what could also be seen as proof of the ducks' being domestic? I also forgot to mention that at the register, they had me fill out a poultry purchase form saying my name, address, phone number, and the fact that I bought ducks from them. They didn't send any copy of that home with me though, and that still would not necessarily do anything to distinguish my domestic mallards from wild ones.

7. DanAndQuails

Apr 29, 2012
    The receipt just says "duck" on it... [​IMG] And whatever information I get, I will be sure to post.

8. DenverDucky

Mar 28, 2012
    Colorado
    I would see if they would give any info on where they came from. I want a couple mallards someday and will most likely order them from a hatchery that marks them just for this reason alone.

9. Lanicus

Lanicus Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2012
    Oklahoma
    If you got them from TSC then you don't have to worry about them being wild. They are domestic and you don't need to get any kind of permission or permits for them

10. DenverDucky

Mar 28, 2012
    Colorado

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by