Mallard Duckling help

MallardDuckling

Songster
7 Years
Apr 29, 2012
Montgomery County, Ohio
Later in the day yesterday I got a Mallard Duckling.

I've never really raised one except for when I was very young we did.

I've been doing research on them ever since I got him/her.

I read that they need to have other Mallard ducklings with them when raising them without mother, so I am going to get 1-3 more today.

I also read that 10 ducklings can split 1 slice of bread a day, but not to feed them soley on bread. I read another site that said bread is bad for any duck and will kill them. Now I'm confused
hmm.png

Lastnight I bought feed for the duckling who I have named Hemi. I had to go to TSC because all the other feed stores in my area had closed and luckily we got to TSC right before they closed.
I bought DuMOR chick starter/grower. It also has a picture of a duck on the bag and says it's good for chick, ducks, geese and turkey.
I read a website that said not to feed them chick feed as they can get Angel winged. Is this true? Will the feed I bought be ok, or should I get gamebird feed, which is what one website reccomended.

Does anyone know anything about Angel Wings in ducks/Mallard ducks?
My duckling keeps his wings out, not flat against him. Could this be AW?

Also, does anyone know how to tell the age of a duckling? Roughly at least lol?

Thanks everyone!!!

Hey Mallard! Welcome to BYC. That's what I feed. The Dumor. It's not necessary to feed it bread. Some people say it's awful because there is no nutritional value. So just stick with the feed.
Can you snap a pic? TSC will mix their Mallards and Rouens in the same bin. (here anyway) so make sure you get an actual mallard (One eye stripe and a smaller dot) not a rouen (2 predominate eye stripes) . Unless you don't really care then nevermind!

Congrats on your new baby. I love my mallards.

Hey Mallard! Welcome to BYC. That's what I feed. The Dumor. It's not necessary to feed it bread. Some people say it's awful because there is no nutritional value. So just stick with the feed.
Can you snap a pic? TSC will mix their Mallards and Rouens in the same bin. (here anyway) so make sure you get an actual mallard (One eye stripe and a smaller dot) not a rouen (2 predominate eye stripes) . Unless you don't really care then nevermind!

Congrats on your new baby. I love my mallards.
Thank you so much. My father fed him a little bread just to see if he would eat first and he did.
He's in my avitar. That's the best picture I could get of him. He's mostly yellow, the darkest brown on him is the spot on his head. Other than that he's got very very light markings.
I really didn't care what I got, I was just shock, yet happy I got him. It really wasn't planned.
Sadly, he passed away earlier today. He had been very active this morning then around 11 am he got tired looking, his head began to tilt to one side and when you picked him up he would be very wobbly. I knew he wouldn't last when I saw him around 11 am. I'm debating on getting any more for now.

that is not a mallard duckling. a mallard would be black with yellow spots in certain places.
it looks more like a silve appleyard or something?

that is not a mallard duckling. a mallard would be black with yellow spots in certain places.
it looks more like a silve appleyard or something?

x2. Someone on another thread just hatched a duckling that looks just like it that was supposed to be a rouen, but is likely a pekin rouen mix. Should be very pretty when it grows up. Sounds like you a doing a great job researching how to take care of your little guy!
welcome-byc.gif

i agree with the above poster that it's not a mallard, most likely an appleyard ( explains the spot on the head) or some sort of mix. For future referances also it is not okay to feed ducks of any age bread, but it is okay to feed them all purpose ( for ducks geese chickens turkeys) food as long as it has no meds. in it, or flock starter specifically for ducks. Sorry about the duckling.

Thank you so much. My father fed him a little bread just to see if he would eat first and he did.
He's in my avitar. That's the best picture I could get of him. He's mostly yellow, the darkest brown on him is the spot on his head. Other than that he's got very very light markings.
I really didn't care what I got, I was just shock, yet happy I got him. It really wasn't planned.
Sadly, he passed away earlier today. He had been very active this morning then around 11 am he got tired looking, his head began to tilt to one side and when you picked him up he would be very wobbly. I knew he wouldn't last when I saw him around 11 am. I'm debating on getting any more for now.

Aww I'm sorry for your loss.

Thank you guys so much. When I first lost him, I thought it was because I did something wrong. I looked through the forum and I've found that even more experienced duck owners have lost ducks. It's still sad, but I'm glad I don't feel like a duck killer anymore lol.

Back
Top Bottom