Mallard Ducklings on a Small Pond

So, I briefly posted in my introduction that I'm hoping to raise mallard ducklings on a small farm pond. Let me provide just a bit of background:

The property where this would be happening is roughly five acres. There is a climate controlled garage that would be the location for the brooder to raise the ducklings, but there is no barn or other outbuilding.

Friends we've spoken to have said that they have success raising mallards and releasing the onto their pond, but that the mallards typically migrate and don't return. This is fine for us too! We'd love to have a migratory "flock" that returns annually, but this is almost more of just a "just because" experiment.

My question is this: Again, we have friends who mention that they raise mallard ducklings from brooder and eventually to pond, without a barn or coop for the ducks. Every guide or set of instructions I've read about duckling rearing expects that you'll be keeping the ducks in an enclosure once the ducks reach adulthood -- if this isn't our aim, are we still okay releasing the birds onto our pond? I've read that mallards, being less domesticated, are better suited at living in "the wild" after raising. Are we going to be okay raising ducklings just to "release," so to speak?

Thanks for any suggestions ... this is all a very new thing for me.
Four of my ducklings that I had sold went to a lady with a pond and lots of land. The Hen was from California and the Drake was a rescue during covid where I could not find anyone that would help me with the two I had. These four once they left me flew away from her to be wild and free. They had free ranged on my property but stayed because the rest of the flock was here. She said she was happy with that because she buys them all the time at the local TSC and Rural King stores here in Ohio and gives them a choice of staying or leaving and they always fly off. As long as they are coming from a store I don't see how you can get into any trouble if they wish to be free. There are wild Muscovy Ducks and tame ones and the same thing is with the Mallards here where we live. They may decide to stay with you if you are there only feed source and they do not figure out how to catch bugs and eat on their own. Good luck, this is just my opinion from what I have experienced with them.

Four of my ducklings that I had sold went to a lady with a pond and lots of land. The Hen was from California and the Drake was a rescue during covid where I could not find anyone that would help me with the two I had. These four once they left me flew away from her to be wild and free. They had free ranged on my property but stayed because the rest of the flock was here. She said she was happy with that because she buys them all the time at the local TSC and Rural King stores here in Ohio and gives them a choice of staying or leaving and they always fly off. As long as they are coming from a store I don't see how you can get into any trouble if they wish to be free. There are wild Muscovy Ducks and tame ones and the same thing is with the Mallards here where we live. They may decide to stay with you if you are there only feed source and they do not figure out how to catch bugs and eat on their own. Good luck, this is just my opinion from what I have experienced with them.

First off tame mallards are different than wild ones. Tame ones are much bigger and have different dna. A tame drake can kill a wild hen mating her.
2nd off it is illegal to release tame birds to the wild. You might think it's ok, cute, or even helping but you are not helping anything. Tame birds do NOT have the instincts to survive in the wild and can carry diseases.

Your buddy is improperly caring for her ducks if they choose to fly off. Most likely not feeding them right so they left because she thought since she free ranged them they can feed them self. Your experience and opinion is dead wrong along with being illegal to the point of being a felony.

In the US you must have a permit to raise tame mallards so she must know this or she has them illegally. If she has the permit and allowing this she needs her permit taken from her.

First off tame mallards are different than wild ones. Tame ones are much bigger and have different dna. A tame drake can kill a wild hen mating her.
2nd off it is illegal to release tame birds to the wild. You might think it's ok, cute, or even helping but you are not helping anything. Tame birds do NOT have the instincts to survive in the wild and can carry diseases.

Your buddy is improperly caring for her ducks if they choose to fly off. Most likely not feeding them right so they left because she thought since she free ranged them they can feed them self. Your experience and opinion is dead wrong along with being illegal to the point of being a felony.

In the US you must have a permit to raise tame mallards so she must know this or she has them illegally. If she has the permit and allowing this she needs her permit taken from her.
Metzer farms in California sells tame mallards all the time and this is where I got two of mine. You do not need a permit as the back toe is taken off at birth and this proves they are tame. Mine would fly to the neighbors houses until I clipped their right wing. They were being fed the best food and were tame so yes they will fly away whether they are fed right or not. I raised the two wild ones because I refused to see them die during a pandemic where no one wanted to be around anyone else. If ducks decide to fly away unless you clip their feathers and they are call ducks they will do that. They have derived from the Mallard breed and still have that instinct. Check with Metzer farms if you think this is illegal. My wild hen and my domestic ones were very hard to tell apart. My friend was also feeding hers good healthy feed but they still chose to leave. My birds have always been healthy as they have the best feed and are taken care of.

So, I briefly posted in my introduction that I'm hoping to raise mallard ducklings on a small farm pond. Let me provide just a bit of background:

The property where this would be happening is roughly five acres. There is a climate controlled garage that would be the location for the brooder to raise the ducklings, but there is no barn or other outbuilding.

Friends we've spoken to have said that they have success raising mallards and releasing the onto their pond, but that the mallards typically migrate and don't return. This is fine for us too! We'd love to have a migratory "flock" that returns annually, but this is almost more of just a "just because" experiment.

My question is this: Again, we have friends who mention that they raise mallard ducklings from brooder and eventually to pond, without a barn or coop for the ducks. Every guide or set of instructions I've read about duckling rearing expects that you'll be keeping the ducks in an enclosure once the ducks reach adulthood -- if this isn't our aim, are we still okay releasing the birds onto our pond? I've read that mallards, being less domesticated, are better suited at living in "the wild" after raising. Are we going to be okay raising ducklings just to "release," so to speak?

Thanks for any suggestions ... this is all a very new thing for me.
We are trying this as well and have released mallard ducks on our pond. I had a pen that I kept them in at night however as the summer went on they wouldn’t go in at night and I couldn’t catch them (although I definitely got my exercise trying, lol). For the last month we have had wood ducks come and go and now have another pair of mallards. My question is since the pen seems to be out of the question, what shelter do I need to provide for winter. Each morning I go snd set out food and at night take it up to try to keep from attracting predators. Our pond is somewhat protected since it is at the sheltered on 3 sides by the hills. We live in East Tennessee so winter can go either way. Likewise this is totally new to us and any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

I have raised many mallard ducklings. I have sold most of them. I only have two right now. The ones that I have sold that did not get their wings clipped have flown away from their owners. Some people feel domesticated ones will not migrate but they actually will leave if they want to move on. Some people raised them in a enclosed pen with netting on the top to keep them in. Mine have netting but I also let them free range daily in a small pen that has grass that has no netting. They have not left me because they are fed well and are with their other ducks they have been around since birth. I got mine from Metzer farms and they were supposed to be pinioned but they forgot to do it. I did clip their wings a couple of times when they were younger but now they seem okay to stay here. Good luck with yours when you get them. Mine have a large chicken house in the pen, a duck house, a dog house and a pet gazebo all covered in tarps with a roof for the winter months. Mostly they like to stay outside though and tolerate the cold very well in their large net covered roof enclosure made of many 6 foot dog pens all put together.

Back
Top Bottom