Mallard hen broken wing!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sgt_dane, Dec 14, 2010.

1. sgt_dane

sgt_dane Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    I've got 5 mallards, 3 hens and 2 drakes. Well one of my hens got out of the cage, flew right past me and out in the road and got hit. Her humerus bone is shattered in her left wing. I cleaned it up (one of the bones broke through the skin) and cut back all of her feathers off that wing. In hopes that it'll keep her wing in place. It's broke. To the point that you can turn her wing completely upside down. It's wrapped and she's in a kennel right now. Any advice on what to do with her would be greatly appreciated. How long does a wing bone in this bad of shape take to heal ?

2. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Vet visit. ASAP.

3. sgt_dane

May 16, 2010
    I dint have anybody that treats ducks in my area. Only place is the state vet and they deal with diseases and such.. I'm stuck doing it at home. Otherwise I would take her in. She's eating and drinking, doesn't seem to be too stressed, though I know she is. I have her beside my bed in my dogs kennel.

4. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I would think if it is just hanging on my skin I would just take the wing off, flush it out and make sure all bone fragments are out and no sharp bone is left and then stitch the nub up. Keep her on plenty of antibiotics.

5. sgt_dane

May 16, 2010
    I don't have any type of antiseptic and she has major arteries I'd be worried about. I think that'd be way too much pain for her and jt may put her in shock...

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    You are going to have to watch for signs of infection. The wing may have to come off, but if she is eating and drinking that is a good sign.

7. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I hope your baby gets better! [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The wing should be removed. If you have to do it, tie off any bleeders. If it is that damaged, you may not have a bleeding problem. Slather with neosporin and isolate her. If she has no internal damage, she should survive.

9. Where The Wild Things Are

Where The Wild Things Are Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG] holy shipyard...that brings a whole new meaning to DYI. I hope your girl hangs in there.

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    How's she doing this afternoon?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by