Mallard moving her eggs ...

Swalla

Chirping
Mar 12, 2021
Awhile back, One of my ducks was laying eggs & one morning when walked by the nest, I noticed some of the eggs were gone. Probably 5 or so. So I thought maybe a predator came during the night. But there were no shells to be found. About 2 days later, the eggs reappeared back in the nest.

the same duck started a new nest in my flower bed right by the house. About 20 days or so ago, there were probably 12-15 eggs total in it. But I noticed that the male was still breeding her even after she started sitting on her nest. During her daily hour or so off the nest, he would fly over & breed her the second she came off of it & the egg count kept increasing. The last time I could see all of the eggs, I would say there was Atleast 15-20 eggs.
Today, she came off her nest with one little duckling.. just one. They have walked all over the yard & in the pond. She never went back to the nest. So I went to look at the nest & there were no more eggs!! I was mind blown.

this same duck has probably laid well over 30+ eggs since March. Is this normal? I actually collected a good many & hatched them in my incubator.
My question is.. could she have disposed of the other eggs??? We have not seen a snake around & like I said earlier.. she has faithfully sat on the nest. I’m just confused on if they can actually move the eggs & possibly get rid of the ones that she thought wouldn’t hatch??

edited to add.. I’ve had other ducks laying as well & this behavior didn’t happen with them. It’s just this one duck that has had eggs disappear & reappear & now all of the other eggs are gone.

Makes me think of when my tiny Old English Game bantam was sitting on 8 eggs, Inside the coop, went in one day and all the eggs were gone, not a trace and she was in the nest box, I was attached to the wall about 5' from the floor. So I collected some eggs from her 2 dd's gave them to her and after a few days they were gone, well I sat the game camera up in there [all I had] facing her nest to see if I could catch what was going on never saw anything. Few days later she was down to 1 egg so this time I moved her and her nest to a small coop where I could close her completely in. Went in to clean the big coop and low and behold there is a 5' black snake up on the roost wondering where his lunch went. Needless to say him and I took a long walk down the road. She did manage to hatch that one little egg. I have also heard of a hen sitting on a nest of eggs and a snake coming up underneath her and getting the eggs while she kept sitting. [don't know if that is true but heard it right here on BYC]. I found a 5-6' black snake under the shavings in my coop I use deep litter. Have no idea why he was there other than waiting for a duck or chicken to lay.

You got that right. We live right above a river and have a heron couple down there, but I have never seen one here at our place. Just flying over.

Back
Top Bottom