Mallard or Rouen?

cymbaline

Crowing
10 Years
Jan 31, 2012
central WV
So my two rescue babies are growing up quickly. One has always been noticeably larger than the other, but now that they are nearing full size, I'm beginning to think that the larger one is a Rouen, or at least part Rouen. Her body shape is very different from the mallards I've had (and I'm only saying "her" as an educated guess so far, lol, partially because little duck is showing a tinge of green on his head and she isn't). The little one can fly small distances now, but I haven't seen the bigger one even try. Please give me your opinions. :)

I agree with you on the breed determinations and have to compliment you on the spectacular condition of both birds. They are beautiful!

Aww, thank you! They're spoiled little things, still house ducks with their own bathtub for a little while longer. ;) Then they'll have an aviary with a pond and be even more spoiled! lol

I can't wait to determine their gender for sure so I can stop calling them Big Duck and Little Duck, haha; if they're really a pair as I think they are, they'll be Rocky and Ruby Sue. I feel kinda bad for Ruby Sue though...if she's really a Rouen, then she'll have to sit and watch Rocky flying circles around her.

They are gray ducks. Neither one is a Rouen. Rouens have a very pronounced keel and neither of your ducks has a keel.

Mallards are small, around 3 pounds when fully mature. The big duck looks too big to be a mallard.

They are gray ducks. Neither one is a Rouen. Rouens have a very pronounced keel and neither of your ducks has a keel.

Mallards are small, around 3 pounds when fully mature. The big duck looks too big to be a mallard.

They are talking about a "Pet quality" Rouen Blues. There is a difference in rouens, Large (EQ) And Small (PQ)

But it does look like a rouen.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I also have some I'm confused about two hens I think there Rouens but I thought that they where suppose to be as big as pekins? Thanks!

Last edited:
c6e4c896-18b7-ec80.jpg

Back
Top Bottom