Mallard Pekin pairings

Sunshineliz

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2021
Just wondering if there are any successful matings between mallards and Pekins? I'm not really wanting a hybrid, I'm just wondering.

I have a female Pekin and two male mallards (not ideal, I know, that's just how it turned out and they get along pretty well.)
The males (mostly only one of them gets a turn, she definitely has a favorite lol) try to mate but it doesn't look like they're "sealing the deal." I've watched and I've never seen the penis make the cloaca--they miss! And so far the eggs all look infertile. Is it just that they can't get a good enough position since they're so much smaller than her? That they can't bite the back of her neck and still get their tail end far enough under her tail?

Main reason I ask is my kids are freaked out by the idea of possibly eating fertilized eggs. Which I don't care and have told them so, but I'm beginning to wonder if these boys are even capable of fertilizing her eggs.

Where there's a will, there's a way. Eventually they will learn to make contact. Water to swim in will facilitate the process.

Just wondering if there are any successful matings between mallards and Pekins? I'm not really wanting a hybrid, I'm just wondering.

I have a female Pekin and two male mallards (not ideal, I know, that's just how it turned out and they get along pretty well.)
The males (mostly only one of them gets a turn, she definitely has a favorite lol) try to mate but it doesn't look like they're "sealing the deal." I've watched and I've never seen the penis make the cloaca--they miss! And so far the eggs all look infertile. Is it just that they can't get a good enough position since they're so much smaller than her? That they can't bite the back of her neck and still get their tail end far enough under her tail?

Main reason I ask is my kids are freaked out by the idea of possibly eating fertilized eggs. Which I don't care and have told them so, but I'm beginning to wonder if these boys are even capable of fertilizing her eggs.
How old are they?

I hatched a duckling from my female pekin and mallard boy. She looked like a full mallard

They're all 5 months old. I suppose they're still young. They do have a pool the swim in.
That's why the eggs are still not fertile more then likely. Even when males sexually mature it sometimes takes an extra month or two for them to really get the hang of what they're doing. As long as they have access to water I don't see how it would be a problem when they do figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom