MALLARD THREAD...not rouens, Mallards!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by WaterfowlWierdo, Mar 15, 2013.

1. austinbndr28

austinbndr28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2014
    North east, Maryland
    Thanks. I only have 2 drakes and 5 hens right now. The day i was going to cut their wings 4 hens and a drake flew off.

2. goats rule 101

goats rule 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2013
    Minnesota
    Oh that stinks. My favorite mallard flew away when I didn't have a top over my run so I understand. I only have one drake right now and then the rouens but I'm thinking of getting more mallards soon.

3. austinbndr28

Mar 5, 2014
    North east, Maryland
    I bought these from metzer farms early last year and am going to breed and hatch as many eggs as possible this year. Last year i hatched out a few and most of them were drakes hoping this year to get more hens than drakes.

4. Daniel-Sorensen

Daniel-Sorensen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2013
    Sweden
    My Coop
    :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Daniel-Sorensen

Daniel-Sorensen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2013
    Sweden
    My Coop
    Some of my mallards (and one call duck in some pictures :p )! :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  6. WaterfowlWierdo

WaterfowlWierdo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    once again I love your mallards, dont be bashful about posting more pictures

7. creaturelife

creaturelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    ok guys i need to ask some thing about my mallards cause i need to down size a bit can one male mallard breed 2 females and still be a good amount of fertile eggs?

8. austinbndr28

Mar 5, 2014
    North east, Maryland
    Yes one drake can cover 2 hens. I usually have around 1 drake for 4 hens and they all hatch their own clutches. About 1 infertile egg per nest. And when I incubate them I still have a good hatch rate.

9. RacerWife7

RacerWife7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2013
    Northern, NJ
    Hey, everyone! I have a question about my mallard. I have a bonded pair of Swedes and a mallard drake. Peepers (my mallard) recently started getting aggressive with Raspberry (Swedish drake) and chases him into their enclosure. He does this all day long. Raspberry is a LOT bigger than he is. So, it's kind of funny that this big boy is being chased by my little mallard. But, I know it's because of Spot (my female). So, hubby and I decided we're going to build another section onto the pen; a separate section where they can interact. But, Peepers can't push Raspberry around. And we decided to get Peepers his own duck... or ducks. So, I have 2 mallard ducklings coming this week. I'll keep them in the house for 2+ months until they're old enough to introduce. Part of my question is: what will be a good age to start introducing them? And the other part is: how do you think this whole thing will work out? Will the 2 newbies get along well with their "arranged" match-up with Peepers?

I've only had my ducks since last May. So, I still consider myself to be somewhat of a newcomer to being a duck Mom. [​IMG]
    - this is a pic from late spring last year. But, that's Peepers on the left and Raspberry on the right
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  10. creaturelife

creaturelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    here are my mallards i dont know what they was doing [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by