MALLARD THREAD...not rouens, Mallards!

Pics

So, if I have a mallard/black cross, does that mean I won't ever get to see him with a green head?  And if so, then how did he get such a green head last fall?  He was getting the white ring around his neck and everything.

If he did fully color, that would mean he's now in basic plumage. Has he molted his primaries?

Clint

Last edited:
Zeus! The little duckling that had a dime-sized pip at 11am, and was out by 3pm. He officially turned one day old today at 3! His birthday present was spending some time outside. Zeus is a Mallard/Welsh Harlequin mix.

Yesterday afternoon one of the chicks died, it can't walk but can eat and drink, it's the smallest one... Now I have 5 ducklings.

Thanks

If he did fully color, that would mean he's now in basic plumage. Has he molted his primaries?

Clint

He doesn't seem to be moulting right now. My Swedes are, definitely, moulting. But, Peepers doesn't seem to be right now. He has his flight wing feathers right now, if that's what you mean by his primaries.

He doesn't seem to be moulting right now. My Swedes are, definitely, moulting. But, Peepers doesn't seem to be right now. He has his flight wing feathers right now, if that's what you mean by his primaries.
A mallard drake goes through an "Eclipse" Plumage where he is extremely similar to the hen, he will have all his feathers when he is doing this. then he will moult into the regular green head, grey body mallard plumage

Back
Top Bottom