MALLARD THREAD...not rouens, Mallards!

Very cute. Keep him/her warm.[/quote

Baby is back with mom now. Had a ruff time. Our male drowned 3 before we found them and this one was laying out of the nest on the ground.we brought it in to warm it. Went back out to check on other eggs another had hatched and he had pulled it out.needless to say I got him out. And the rest went well. Today we went out and my husband was working on a bigger pin for them.he let male back in with mom and babies. He jumps on her back pecking her grabs baby by the neck and runs to the pool and throws it in. So now we know for sure it was him who hurt the other babies.. ( baby was ok). Just couldn't believe he could do this! Crazy

Last edited:
Thank you for telling me about your baby's I moved my drake. 1 egg broken 20 mins later. Nothing but dead yolk.

I don't understand why he wants to hurt them. I got 2 pekins they are 2 months old now. Do you think it would be safe to put mallard drake with these 2 in a bigger pin? And keep mom and babies in smaller one for now?

Quote: Oh no! That's too bad he didn't like them.
hit.gif
How are they all doing now? I think you should be able to put the drake with the pekins, but watch him for a while as they may fight.

I put my drake in a smaller cage in my chicken coop. I have one outside at moment. And two moms our in there coop. I couldn't move them . There sheltered in there dog house. From storms. Males I don't think they want to hurt them. But have a raw instinct that says these little one doesn't belong here. Take a bath to them isn't what humans think and do.human brain reasons. Usually (animal brain has no reasoning skills. They base there skills on instincts breaded in them.

Sometimes there to quick.fast. They have no reasoning to think that the baby will drown. It's your job to make sure they don't drown. I had a brand new chicken only a few hrs old die in the water dish. I went to change the ducks over to the other coop but took 5 mins to put something away in my hands so I could grab the older ones.

I put my drake in a smaller cage in my chicken coop. I have one outside at moment. And two moms our in there coop. I couldn't move them . There sheltered in there dog house. From storms. Males I don't think they want to hurt them. But have a raw instinct that says these little one doesn't belong here. Take a bath to them isn't what humans think and do.human brain reasons. Usually (animal brain has no reasoning skills. They base there skills on instincts breaded in them.

We got drake in a small cage next to mom and babies she's taking a bath the babies are only 2 days old I wasn't sure if I should make it easy for babies to get in pool. So I didnt. When should I let them in pool with mom?

It is not a good idea to let your baby's in the pool yet there way to young. I didn't put my baby's in water intell they hit 4 days old some say 6 to 7 days. And for a few weeks. You have to be with them in the pool or bathtub or kitchen sink. Warm water 100. Is what's requmended . I could be wrong a few points off. Not over there waist . They have to be able to stand.

It is not a good idea to let your baby's in the pool yet there way to young. I didn't put my baby's in water intell they hit 4 days old some say 6 to 7 days. And for a few weeks. You have to be with them in the pool or bathtub or kitchen sink. Warm water 100. Is what's requmended . I could be wrong a few points off. Not over there waist . They have to be able to stand.

Don't worry I've read a lot on here and kind of new better just wanted to be sure. They can't get in the pool they are really small. All is well thankfully.

Back
Top Bottom