MALLARD THREAD...not rouens, Mallards!

This is my Mallard Lucy that I purchased at TSC she is VERY INJURED something in our pond got a hold of her foot and did a number on it. Has anyone ever had this happen to their ducks?

I've heard that snapping turtles can bite ducks in a pond. I hope she gets better soon and I wouldn't let her go back to the pond.

It's resulting in hernias and parlizations.

It's not been a good week. I have one question I just want the easiest way and not a lot of money to be spent. How do you fix hot and cold spots in incubator and in a live duck.

These are my pet mallards. Lucky is almost 2 yrs old... she is the one who gets out of the water first. The other two who are having all the fun is Donald and Hilary! They are 3 months old now. This video was from last month.

0.jpg
Awesome! They look so happy! I suppose Donald must be getting his breeding plumage now?

Ohh wait, lol I see what your talking about my bad. I thought you were talking about mixed breeds for some reason, totally my bad
gig.gif

Just ignore me I'm so scatter brained right now, my black female just broke her broodiness and I am scrambling to find a way to incubate the eggs since all my incubators are full.
I've heard you talk about your black mallards, I'm wondering how you bred them to be black? Did you use a domestic black duck then just line breed to get mallard bodies again? I hope you can find somewhere for them!

No They are pure bred 100% i have never even owned any domestic black ducks, which is why it's so rare and expensive, I have had bloodtests done and i have a pedigree going back 50 years. 

Its a melanistic mallard aka black

(in bold to make a point to anyone who has this question)

For anyone curious melanistic is the exact opposite of albinism, instead of no melanin production they over produce melanin, both natural occurrences that are rare in the wild but can be exploited by controlled domestic breeding programs... No different from the other color mutations exploited in other birds by humans...

Exactly, they are the only ones in "known" existence on this side of the world and colored mallards go for alot of money in europe, and black (melanistic) mallards are even rare over there so that's why they are expensive.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom