MALLARD THREAD...not rouens, Mallards!

Not sure which forum to post it in but my largest rooster I have caught mating with my mallard twice, should I be concerned?

Only if he's injuring her with his beak or spurs while treading... roosters can't damage ducks with just the mating process like drakes can injure hens... nor can they fertilize...

:idunno I have a drake and he molted about a month or two ago and he still hasn't got his color back.(feathers) his head hasn't turned back green? please help if you can.

Didn't see that anyone answered this, sorry... drakes molt into eclipse feathering (looks like duck pattern) each year... they stay that way for a while, then he'll molt back to his gorgeous drake colors, no worries... :)

One quacks - BIG quacks. The other two raspy quack. That means two drakes, doesn't it?

IF that's the case...they are in with my chickens and have been since all were young (they are still young). Is this going to be a problem?
That said...as they are ranging and foraging, they all just kinda raspy quack. Is this normal, too?

One quacks - BIG quacks. The other two raspy quack. That means two drakes, doesn't it?

IF that's the case...they are in with my chickens and have been since all were young (they are still young). Is this going to be a problem?
Okay so you have 1 hen and 2 drakes. It might be a problem, I had my ducks live with my chickens for while. But as the chickens got older they started to gang up on the ducks! So you might want to seperate them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom