Mallard vs Rouen ducklings

bigtrout

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 24, 2011
NW PA
Hi everyone,
New to the board as the proud owner of six three week old pekin ducklings...wow they grow fast!

My other half wants to add some color to our flock...and my suggestions were adding four more either campbells or rouens...the local TSC has "mallards" but doing alot of reading here I think they may be rouens...basically they have one full eye stripe...and one below that is a stripe but broken in the middle...anyone have any advice? If they are rouens we want to add these to the flock in a seperate brooder of course until they are all similar sized.

Thanks for theinfo, with that concise description i think these are mallards...ill pass until I see campbells or rouens

Try different feed stores. I've been to quite a few recently and there are a lot of breeds that you cannot get at TSC.

I have a Pair of Rouens/ Drake & Hen. I Love them both they are nice to me & follow me around when I'm in their area. The problem is that the Rouen Drake is kinda, well more than kinda he is very mean to the Drake Golden Cascade. He would chase and run him off every chance he got. He even bit or pulled the back male curl feathers. He then started being a little mean to the Hen Golden Cascade. So I had to fence the 2 Rouen ducks separate from the 2 Golden Cascade ducks(Drake & Hen) Then the Rouens figured out they could fly over my little fence/divider, which wasn't very big so I cut me a strip of "dear fencing" & added that to the top of my little fence.. So far so good. Also the Rouen Ducks ARE the Biggest Pool Hogs!! They are both great at laying eggs. Good luck with your duckies, ~Julie

Back
Top Bottom