Mallards Stopped Flying

416bigbore

Ruffus and Big Boy
Jun 11, 2020
NC
It just dawned on me the other day that our two little Mallard hens don't fly around the enclosed fenced yard anymore like they used to. At first when they were learning how to fly I was worried about them flying away, but now it's like they have no interest in flying anymore. Could it be because they are around ten other larger Rouen/Pekin ducks who can't fly? :confused:

I was wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this with any of their ducks that have the ability to fly and don't?

If they are molting, they will not fly because they lose their flight feathers. My Muscovy used to fly all day every day, but once she molted she couldn't fly because the wing and chest feathers are where she lost the most. She is now learning to fly again, not that she forgot, but she needs to get her wing strength back up since she hasn't been flying recently.

I do not think it would be the ducks they are around because flying is natural, even ducks that can't fly will still try.

If they are molting, they will not fly because they lose their flight feathers. My Muscovy used to fly all day every day, but once she molted she couldn't fly because the wing and chest feathers are where she lost the most. She is now learning to fly again, not that she forgot, but she needs to get her wing strength back up since she hasn't been flying recently.

I do not think it would be the ducks they are around because flying is natural, even ducks that can't fly will still try.
Hello, Thanks for your reply back. :) Not molting but that would stand to reason if they were.

Our whole flock is young born this spring and at first they all were very actively trying to fly, but now the bigger ones will only stand still and stretch out their wings and flap them. Not like at first when they would run and try to catch a little air time.

Maybe their just getting lazy. :gig I just found it odd and wasn't sure if it was a normal thing or not?

I had a little mallard with my other ducks and she never flew. I gave her to a friend that had a few mallards as my drake was too big for her. As soon as she was around other flying ducks she flew too. So there may be something to your theory. She was the only duck that could fly I ever had, so small sample.

I had a little mallard with my other ducks and she never flew. I gave her to a friend that had a few mallards as my drake was too big for her. As soon as she was around other flying ducks she flew too. So there may be something to your theory. She was the only duck that could fly I ever had, so small sample.
I was just rolling the marbles around upstairs and thought maybe that was the reason why? :confused:

They also say it's hard to Soar Like An Eagle when your surrounded by a bunch of Turkeys! :gig

I can’t help with why they aren’t flying since I don’t have the breed, but maybe they just are so content there they don’t feel the need. ;) I haven’t clipped my Scovies wings yet which I usually do after big molt in fall. Hoping maybe I won’t have to since they are. 9 yrs old now.

@Miss Lydia I would like to think they are content the spoiled little Turkeys! :) Early on I chose not to clip their wings because I didn't feel right about it, now I am glad I left them alone. It was a chance to take and I guess we got lucky.

I would think after nine years of :love why would they want to leave? :confused: That's craziness in my book if I were to write one. :gig

I can’t help with why they aren’t flying since I don’t have the breed, but maybe they just are so content there they don’t feel the need. ;) I haven’t clipped my Scovies wings yet which I usually do after big molt in fall. Hoping maybe I won’t have to since they are. 9 yrs old now.
Coco still flies around the house lol

Back
Top Bottom