Malnourished Chick :(

tamberchick

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2015
Idaho
About a week ago, a chick was found at my local river. He hasn't grown in the week we got him, and today we took him to a local zamzows, where the manager keeps chickens himself. We had him look at our little mystery chick, and he told us he hasn't grown because he is extremely malnourished. He used everything he got ( very little from what we saw where we found him) and put it all to keeping his inner organs going. We brought him back home, and I got started. I'm keeping him away from my other chicks, and keeping him in a hygienic area, since he is so weak, and I'm worried about hid immune system. He gets unlimited chick starter, mixed with a tiny bit of garlic, which I read is good for their immune systems, and water that had some apple cider vinegar. He's under a heat lamp 24/7 and all that. I'd there any foods that are good for putting weight on a chick? We were also told he is most likely a rooster, which may be the reason he was most likely dumped. We plan on keeping him, since we wanted a rooster, and he has the looks of an Americana chick. Any tips on how to get him up to par, feathering nicely, good weight, etc? I'll do anything to help the little guy. He is an absolute sweet heart, and just loves a good cuddle.

Nothing would be better for him than a good quality chick starter. The perfect treat would be booled or scrambled egg.
1f603.png

Good on you for taking care of him.

Why worry about his immune system if he is kept alone? If he is in a warm, clean place with food and water, then let him build strength back up. It wont happen immediately. You can try scrambled egg, that is a good high protein high fat food.

I would remove the garlic, he doesn't need it constantly and some chickens wont eat it and it can cause them to lose even more weight. ACV is good but I'd remove it too after a few days. The probiotics stay in their system and he doesn't need an enormous culture of probios if he is living alone and clean.

Is there a space away from the heat lamp he can get to if he gets too warm?

Yes. The garlic was maybe a few chopped prices, which he ate like a pro, and it encouraged him to eat more chick starter, which he is not a very big fan of, lol. I just worry, he's pretty weak, but getting better everyday. I will remove the ACV after a bit, and I'll make him a scrambled egg. He'll eat just about anything, other than alot of chick feed :/

Sounds like he is doing good. If he's eating anything vigorously then that is a good sign. If a chicken is sick, they usually don't want to eat much if at all.

He may be weak but if he is getting better then just keep doing what's working.

Update ! He's gotten quite a bit better :D and is eating more and more everyday. Since his older chick friends had to move to the coop, we went yesterday and picked up a little RIR pullet who he likes, but he just likes people more. He's currently on my lap, eating away at some chick starter.

Back
Top Bottom