Malnourished Chinese Goose?

TiffanyMyree

In the Brooder
Nov 10, 2021
I got a white Chinese Goose today from someone. I’m told the hatch date is 7/23. I already had two goslings. The same breed, hatch date 9/22. 10 weeks difference.
Here’s my concern..
The new goose is the same size in weight, if not a tad smaller. He/She is also only maybe three inches taller. Is this in any way normal? I’m new to geese, so I’m not sure. If not, what size should an almost 4 month old Chinese Goose be compared to one almost 2 months old?
Any input is much appreciated!

From my experience raising white Chinese geese, a 4 month old should be noticeably larger and better feathered than a 2 month old. Can you post pics?

Attachments

• D2DDBF63-A9CE-4FA1-A3EC-C08A2A4B4761.jpeg
    D2DDBF63-A9CE-4FA1-A3EC-C08A2A4B4761.jpeg
    202 KB · Views: 17
  • F8F8CDC6-0D24-4770-BC9D-17EE3F622EF0.jpeg
    F8F8CDC6-0D24-4770-BC9D-17EE3F622EF0.jpeg
    206 KB · Views: 19
It's hard to tell from the pics, but nothing obvious jumped out at me. Do you know what the person you got the gosling from was feeding it? Does the older gosling have a prominent keel or otherwise seem thin compared to your younger ones?

This site has some information you may find helpful about checking weight and body condition. There are a number of possible explanations for the gosling's size - it may simply be small, the hatch date inaccurate, yours may be fast growers.

I bought a goose from someone locally a month or so ago. He told me it was a pilgrim gander, 5 months old. I was skeptical about how old it was, since my 4-month-old buff/pilgrim was significantly larger than him. Then I picked him up and he was all bones and feathers. I have no idea what the guy was feeding him, maybe nothing at all, it's possible he was just pasturing him, but I say that definitely has an effect on how large they can get. The body can only do so much on little nutrition.

Back
Top Bottom