Malpositioned Chick Hatching Help!

Cot Cot

Songster
9 Years
May 2, 2014
Sacramento, CA
Hello, I hope some experts can help me. This is day 19 with two Millie Fleur D'Uccle eggs. Both of the eggs externally pipped around the same time but this one did not pip in the air cell. These were shipped eggs..... The pip was originally on the bottom but I wanted to see the situation so I took a long toothpick and pushed the egg over a bit to see what was going on. The chick is chirping. This just started at 10 PM the external pip. I do not want to assist but let the chick do its work on its own if this is possible. I am not sure how to proceed but I don't want to miss any advice if this is a dire situation. I understand that the chick may not have completed its process with the yolk absorption and other developmental stages. Please tell me what the best course of action is for this little one and what to look for. I have a Brinsea Mini Advance and understand NOT to open the lid that is why I took the long toothpick to push it. My temperature is 99.7 with a humidity reading of 69%. I will be up all night worrying about this so if anyone can help I would be so appreciative.

Attachments

• IMG_7607.JPG
    IMG_7607.JPG
    442.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7605.JPG
    IMG_7605.JPG
    326.4 KB · Views: 12
I would not mess with them and let them go. if the peeping sound is getting weaker and weaker than watch this video and help it...https://youtu.be/dx9rc6N1fQ4

Keep me posted and I will help along the way!
Hi, THANK YOU, you are my guiding light. Well I had no sleep but refrained to seeing what was happening until now. The little chick has worked a bit in the last 2 hours and this is the beak. Please give me your opinion on the situation if you can. The other egg BTW has done nothing with its external pip yet. The chirping also is not as strong as before and very minimal.

Attachments

• IMG_7609.JPG
    IMG_7609.JPG
    318.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Hi, THANK YOU, you are my guiding light. Well I had no sleep but refrained to seeing what was happening until now. The little chick has worked a bit in the last 2 hours and this is the beak. Please give me your opinion on the situation if you can. The other egg BTW has done nothing with its external pip yet. The chirping also is not as strong as before and very minimal.
If it has been 24 hours since the chick pipped and it appears to be getting weak, then you may need to help it out.
This article will help. Important that the egg is kept warm and humid while you intervene. Have all your tools ready BEFORE you take the egg out. I use a heat lamp and a bowl of hot water with a towel. Others turn the hot shower on in the bathroom and do it there. Important to go slowly and VERY important not to intervene too soon, if you see any active blood vessels, then you need to wait and the chick is not ready yet. Good luck!🙂

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

Back
Top Bottom