Malpositioned Chick Please Help!

Cot Cot

Songster
9 Years
May 2, 2014
Sacramento, CA
Hello, I hope some experts can help me. This is day 19 with two Millie Fleur D'Uccle eggs. Both of the eggs externally pipped around the same time but this one did not pip in the air cell. These were shipped eggs..... The pip was originally on the bottom but I wanted to see the situation so I took a long toothpick and pushed the egg over a bit to see what was going on. The chick is chirping. This just started at 10 PM the external pip. I do not want to assist but let the chick do its work on its own if this is possible. I am not sure how to proceed but I don't want to miss any advice if this is a dire situation. I understand that the chick may not have completed its process with the yolk absorption and other developmental stages. Please tell me what the best course of action is for this little one and what to look for. I have a Brinsea Mini Advance and understand NOT to open the lid that is why I took the long toothpick to push it. My temperature is 99.7 with a humidity reading of 69%. I will be up all night worrying about this so if anyone can help I would be so appreciative.

This sounds very similar.
In october, I was hatching 6 mille fleur d'uccle eggs. I had 2 healthy chicks and 1 malpositioned baby. I also use a mini advance.
If it's gone too long without any progress, try to open the pip a little bit so you can have a look at the situation inside. My chick had his legs over his head, so I had to competely take all the shell off.
Work slowly, don't leave the incubator open for too long. If you'd prefer, you can take the egg out, close the incubator and go to a warm, humid room.
This article may help.
Guide to Assisted Hatching for All Poultry

Guide to Assisted Hatching for All Poultry

Preface If you need immediate instructions on how to assist a hatch, you may skip this section and go to the next one, where the instructions are. To start with, I want to address the fact that some people think assisting during a hatch is wrong. I respect the decision to not help during a...

Don't worry if after the assist, she can't move. The same happened with my peanut. I left her in the incubator that night and took her out in the evening. Then fed her scrambled eggs.

THAT DAY
IMG-20211022-WA0032.jpeg

NEXT MORNING
IMG-20211022-WA0050.jpg
JPEG_20211023_093640_5151723088335540631.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20211022-WA0050.jpg
    IMG-20211022-WA0050.jpg
    424.3 KB · Views: 2
Oh thank you so much for replying. They are so beautiful. I am glad it ended well for you. I am so very worried to do the right thing. So many articles don't intervene. This just started 2 hours ago so my gut is saying to wait this out but if the chick can't full breathe or some other emergency happening due to this wrong position I want to help. My gut is saying to wait until the morning? That will be 8 hours from now? Not sure if that is too long though? How long did you wait before you intervened in your situation?

Oh thank you so much for replying. They are so beautiful. I am glad it ended well for you. I am so very worried to do the right thing. So many articles don't intervene. This just started 2 hours ago so my gut is saying to wait this out but if the chick can't full breathe or some other emergency happening due to this wrong position I want to help. My gut is saying to wait until the morning? That will be 8 hours from now? Not sure if that is too long though? How long did you wait before you intervened in your situation?
Well he pipped the night before and the others hatched in the morning, but he was still in the same state: partly zipped. I assisted in the evening. I know you're meant to wait longer, but I knew something was wrong.
If you're not comfortable with assisting, you can get a friend or family member help. Or you can let nature take it's course, but this will most likely mean the chick dying.

Thank you Pippin Chicken, the little one made it! Thank you for all of your support!
Did you assist or did she make it herself?
It's always rewarding to help. What's their name?
Don't rush her into feeding, but keep an eye on her. Teach her to eat and drink and maybe try feed her scrambled eggs

Did you assist or did she make it herself?
It's always rewarding to help. What's their name?
Don't rush her into feeding, but keep an eye on her. Teach her to eat and drink and maybe try feed her scrambled eggs
Thank you I will! So when she/he pipped the 2nd external pip the membrane was not broken. When I took a close up photo (couldn't see it with my naked eye) I could see that it was her beak. I gently slit the membrane and she then poked her beak out. have not given them a name yet! I will send their shells (only have 2) to determine their sex later today.

Thank you I will! So when she/he pipped the 2nd external pip the membrane was not broken. When I took a close up photo (couldn't see it with my naked eye) I could see that it was her beak. I gently slit the membrane and she then poked her beak out. have not given them a name yet! I will send their shells (only have 2) to determine their sex later today.
The one you sent the photo of looks browner. Most of the time the brown ones are girls (not always true)

Back
Top Bottom