Mama and her chicks have become Liberatarians!

NanaYurczak

In the Brooder
Aug 30, 2022
I have a dilemna with catching my Hamburg hen (and her chicks) who disappeared in our woods to have chicks earlier this month. She was missing for a while and then, we would see her periodically come back to the flock but would dissapear as quickly as she would reappear, never to be caught. She has returned to the yard with 6 chicks (this breed is not supposed to be the broody type.) We are unable to catch the hen and her 6 chicks at this point to keep them safe at night from predators or bad weather. She takes them to the woods near the yard. The rest of our flock, which is a variety of breeds, Cochin, Buff Orpington and Favorelles, are free range during the day and our Hamburg was part of that flock. The mama Hamburg hang out nearby with the flock but not within the flock, The chicks are about a week old and mama is doing a beautful job, but the storms and predators..we would like to help them be safe. Are there any suggestions out there?

I have a dilemna with catching my Hamburg hen (and her chicks) who disappeared in our woods to have chicks earlier this month. She was missing for a while and then, we would see her periodically come back to the flock but would dissapear as quickly as she would reappear, never to be caught. She has returned to the yard with 6 chicks (this breed is not supposed to be the broody type.) We are unable to catch the hen and her 6 chicks at this point to keep them safe at night from predators or bad weather. She takes them to the woods near the yard. The rest of our flock, which is a variety of breeds, Cochin, Buff Orpington and Favorelles, are free range during the day and our Hamburg was part of that flock. The mama Hamburg hang out nearby with the flock but not within the flock, The chicks are about a week old and mama is doing a beautful job, but the storms and predators..we would like to help them be safe. Are there any suggestions out there?
Nothing brings a momma hen running like top choice food. Start dropping little handfuls of tasty bits near her and walk away. When she starts spotting you and heading you way, drop the treats closer and closer to the coop until you can get her inside.

Do not try to catch her until you have her inside the coop and can close the door. If you do, you'll be back at square one.

Nothing brings a momma hen running like top choice food. Start dropping little handfuls of tasty bits near her and walk away. When she starts spotting you and heading you way, drop the treats closer and closer to the coop until you can get her inside.

Do not try to catch her until you have her inside the coop and can close the door. If you do, you'll be back at square one.
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get my hen and her 6 chicks closer to the coop. They are a huge distance away and in the woods. She will come when I call her and drop treats for them, but keeps her distance and her chicks even more so. I have a new coop set up for them if we're ever able to coax them in that direction, (near the her original coop.) We've even tried going out at night hoping to find her settled in and perhaps be able to retrieve them. We can't even find her at night. The bigger the chicks get the more unlikely that will happen. We have no new ideas.

Mama and her chicks have become Liberatarians!​

Well, we all love the idea of liberty but when it comes to what we consider our own all that theory and emotion comes unraveled.
She's survived at least 21 days on the ground while sitting and hatching. She's proving very difficult to catch which is further testimony to her survival ability.
On the face of it she isn't the one having problems with this liberty business.

Some questions for you.
Where in the world do you live and what is the climate like there?
That would be my logical starting point. If the environment is suitable for feral living then that's one less concern.

If by chance you had observed a wild bird in similar circumstances would you feel the need to capture her and her offspring and make them adhere to your idea of safe living?

Don't get me wrong, I've been in the same position and know the struggle between the rational and the emotional. We want to do what's best for the bird but the problem is what we want and feel is best isn't necessarily what the bird wants or feels.

Say you did catch her and her chicks, in order to keep her as you feel is best you would have to imprison her. How do you feel about that?

Let her go. Cross your fingers, or do whatever you believe may help keep her safe without interfering. She's not your hen anymore.

You may find at some point if she survives that she will return to her tribe/flock when she feels the chicks are old enough, or even return when she's done with raising her feral brood. I've had this happen much to my delight.

She's not your hen and never has been and that is the lesson we should all be learning about any creature including our own offspring.

Back
Top Bottom