Mama ducks died while sitting on eggs

LittleLakesFarm

Songster
6 Years
Jun 15, 2013
On this last Monday, there was a very misfortunate accident that happened in which we lost 2 of our sitting ducks (crested Bali ducks). I have taken the eggs that they were sitting on, & put them in the incubator with some other eggs that were presumed fertile. I don't know how far along the mama's eggs were but I just candled them & 5 of them appear to be about 10 days old or so (give or take). The others look much younger if they are even fertile, it is still very early for those to tell yet.

My concern is that they are all at different stages of development so how do I do lockdown when some are so much further along than the others? I'm not sure what to do?

Kindest regards & many thanks.

You have a good question there. It really just depends on the type of incubator that you have and/or your commitment. You could place them all on lockdown, but mark the ones that are younger and turn them at least 3 times each day — careful not to spike the humidity too much. Another option would be to remove some of the tuners from the incubator (assuming that it is much larger and is possible to do so).

You have a good question there. It really just depends on the type of incubator that you have and/or your commitment. You could place them all on lockdown, but mark the ones that are younger and turn them at least 3 times each day — careful not to spike the humidity too much. Another option would be to remove some of the tuners from the incubator (assuming that it is much larger and is possible to do so).

Thank you for your response. I have a Brinsea auto turning one that holds like 20 eggs or something. The humidity is regulated by the machine. I thought I wasn't supposed to open the lid during lockdown & that the point of keeping the lid closed was to sort of soften the shell? I think your advice sounds good as long as I can safely open the lid 3 times a day during their lockdown.
I am not even entirely sure how far along they are but I am guessing around 10 days by the looks of the veins & embryo. Ugh. It always gets so stressful during lockdown week as it is but now even more so.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom