Will she develop anymore color?

TinyRaptorDodos

Crowing
May 23, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
This is a golden Deathlayer(rooster) over lavender Orpington(hen), she’s about a month old.. maybe a little under.
Will she develop any color other than black with white/grey down feathers?

Attachments

• IMG_4281.jpeg
    IMG_4281.jpeg
    367.7 KB · Views: 25
Most likely yes, there will be some amount of color leakage that shows up as the chick feathers in. It should be gold-toned if the chick is a female, and may be gold-toned to pale yellowish if the chick is male, depending on whether the mother carries gold or silver.

Most likely yes, there will be some amount of color leakage that shows up as the chick feathers in. It should be gold-toned if the chick is a female, and may be gold-toned to pale yellowish if the chick is male, depending on whether the mother carries gold or silver.
Oh that’s perfect! Her two brothers were sexlinked then I have one straight run left from my Deathlayer mixes so fingers crossed she’s a she!

Another question, any chance the same works for my deathlayer(dad) white jersey giant(mom)?

This is an older picture, her colors are bolder now

Attachments

• IMG_4282.jpeg
    IMG_4282.jpeg
    441.4 KB · Views: 3
Another question, any chance the same works for my deathlayer(dad) white jersey giant(mom)?

This is an older picture, her colors are bolder now

The gold/silver part should be the same for either cross:
Gold father produces gold daughters.
If the mother has silver, sons will show silver (may look yellowish rather than a clean white).
If the mother has gold, sons will be gold, just like their sisters.

If you get a male from that cross, that should tell you whether the mother has gold vs. silver, and after that you will know what to expect from her chicks in future.

The gold/silver part should be the same for either cross:
Gold father produces gold daughters.
If the mother has silver, sons will show silver (may look yellowish rather than a clean white).
If the mother has gold, sons will be gold, just like their sisters.

If you get a male from that cross, that should tell you whether the mother has gold vs. silver, and after that you will know what to expect from her chicks in future.
With her being a white jersey giant I’d imagine she has silver? The dad is golden. Prismo (the chick) is the only one I have of the DL x JG so I’m really hoping she’s a she 🥲

With her being a white jersey giant I’d imagine she has silver?
There is no way to be certain, other than getting a son from her to check.

Many white chickens do have silver, but some do not. For example, white Silkies often have gold, as shown by the chicks they produce when bred to non-white mates.

I would have expected a White Jersey Giant to produce black chicks, based on what I've read of the genetics they usually have. That obviously did not happen with the chick in the photo, so at this point I have no guesses about what genes the hen has, except the ones that actually show in her chicks.

The dad is golden. Prismo (the chick) is the only one I have of the DL x JG so I’m really hoping she’s a she 🥲
Yes, hopefully that chick is a pullet :)

Back
Top Bottom