Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

What I'd like to do is just wrap press n seal around the pad, bungie it to the underside of my frame,
Instead of wrapping the pad first, and then bungeeing it to the frame, you can wrap them both together with the press n seal so the pad is stuck to the frame. (See my next comment, which is basically repeating myself. :p )
I think those that are using it are trying to protect the pillowcase or other "wrapping.
I guess I use the Press n Seal a little bit differently. Instead of bungee-ing the pad to the frame, I wrap the press n seal around the pad and frame to hold the pad in place. And that also has the effect of protecting the heating pad. Then I put cloth over all that, so the chicks don’t have to snuggle up to yucky press n seal. That just doesn’t seem to me like it would be cozy.
I’m with you- no point protecting the cloth. The cloth will serve it’s purpose and then be thrown away. I use old clothes that don’t fit any more.

How do you adjust the height as they grow?
I no longer adjust the height on mine. I used to use interchangeable carriage bolts, and switch to longer and longer ones to raise the height. Eventually I started just putting the short ones on the back and the long ones on the front. Smaller chicks go further back, and as they get bigger, they just stay towards the front.

It’s been a few years since I participated in this thread. I’ve been enjoying learning the different ways people make their MHPs since I revisited. One of the things I love about MHPs is that they can be made from so many different materials. You can look around and see what you have laying around that can be modified to work. Or you can go to Goodwill and look for “cave-shaped” things. They almost always have some kind of metal rack you can use, as long as you can find a way to give it legs.

switch to longer and longer ones to raise the height.
I just start with long ones, let the excess stick out thru the top cardboard cover. Not the greatest pic, but....
1586258253469.png

I just start with long ones, let the excess stick out thru the top cardboard cover. Not the greatest pic, but....
View attachment 2078573
What is that white plastic piece the bolts are going through?

My MHPs are a variation of yours. I read your article way back, and tried to copy it using just things I already had. But I didn’t have long enough bolts, to rig up an adjustable one, so I came up with the interchangeable idea instead. (We had several non-matching lengths of bolts, and some wood pieces I drilled holes into and zip-tied to the metal racks. :oops:)

I probably won’t redo mine, but if I were to make a new one eventually, I think it would be worth going out and buying the long bolts and some of those white pieces.

Yeah, sometimes I hesitate to share my stuff as it's all DIY and most don't have the tools or background to fabricate stuff.
But that’s ok. It’s a good springboard for us to get ideas. I think I could make something like that with wood. It would be better than zip tying. ;)
This is kind of like using washers to attach hardware cloth to a coop, except the metal racks need way bigger “washers”. I just need to make a large wooden washer, and then screw my carriage bolts through it.

Hi,
Although I've been a member of BYC for years now, I never seem to have to ask a question: all the answers are already here. But I want to say how much I've especially appreciated this thread! Due to a combo of wildfires & now the COVID-19 virus, I've had to change my approach to replacing the retired ladies in my small flock. Usually I purchase pullets from local 4Hers, but this year I ended up with 6 hatchery chicks instead. This method of brooding is a breeze! AND, I'm questioning the previous wisdom of having to maintain 85-95 degrees! These guys at less than a week are out "sunbathing" on top of their little warming hut when it's only in the 70s. Added bonus? Able to make the whole thing from stuff just lying around. Thank you everyone! Every page in this thread had something of interest to share.

AND, I'm questioning the previous wisdom of having to maintain 85-95 degrees!
I did the same after using the MHP and having a broody raising hatchery chicks out in the barn. That old 95°F ambient for a week drop by 5°F each week is a WHOLE lot of chick poop. My hen had the littles out in the barn alley at a few days old. Daytime temps MAYBE hitting 70°F. Any time they got a bit chilled they just went back under or on top of Zorra. As they got bigger she took them outside of the barn, even cooler out there but you wouldn't know it by watching the chicks.

The first batch was raised in a bathroom for 3+ weeks with the heat lamp. Hotter than Hades in there!!! Every batch since has started with MHP for a day then out to the barn with a broody or MHP if no broody available at the time. Those chicks never saw 95°F but maybe a few uncomfortable days mid summer and they were well past needing any supplemental heat by then.

The heat lamps are why I stopped raising chicks, it was too dangerous & too stinky (frankly). Regarding this group of babies, I don't have electricity in the coop since I live in a moderate climate & don't believe in artificial winter light. So these sweethearts are in an enclosed back porch. Ambient temp there is about the same as outside :) & this time of year we rarely get below 40°. I'm guessing the heat lamp temp needs to be so high because it's so inefficient. Anyway, thank you to the originators of this thread & everyone who contributed. I went old-style with a piece of old fencing, an exisiting heating pad, some old flannel, & some bungee cords that were laying around. I mention this in case someone else comes along & thinks it's hard or complicated. It isn't, & it took only part of an afternoon to make. Plus it mimics what old Mother Nature would do pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom