Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Quick question: I have a bunch of wire panels from a modular shelving unit like this one:

Plan is to bend one into the sloping hoop shape for a MHP for 7 chicks arriving next week. I can probably use two heavy pliers in tandem to bend it, but was wondering if there was a better/easier way or tool to get the job done?

Can't find anyone with a spare piece of fencing? Seems a shame to ruin part of the shelf unit.

Oooh...definitely gling to get me one of those...for other projects if not this one. I have used a short hacksaw thing in the past, but the cutter seems much easier.

Hope you feel better soon.

Iffn you happen to have a power miter saw - really quick cuts on PVC of any size.

Hi! Expecting our first chicks in a few weeks and I'm super interested in trying out this method of brooding. Just wondering if anyone has ever run their heating pad off of battery power and if so, how/what worked best? We do not have electricity in our coop right now (though we are toying with the idea of adding it if we can do it on the cheep...err cheap. ;) ) Any thoughts or suggestions for me?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensownzoo

Oooh...definitely gling to get me one of those...for other projects if not this one. I have used a short hacksaw thing in the past, but the cutter seems much easier.

Hope you feel better soon.

Iffn you happen to have a power miter saw - really quick cuts on PVC of any size.
Pipe cutter's nice cause no pvc 'dust' and.or 'boogers'.

and you can carry it in a big pocket or tool belt. and work on the living room floor... my fav work space

Last edited:
Hi! Expecting our first chicks in a few weeks and I'm super interested in trying out this method of brooding. Just wondering if anyone has ever run their heating pad off of battery power and if so, how/what worked best? We do not have electricity in our coop right now (though we are toying with the idea of adding it if we can do it on the cheep...err cheap. ;) ) Any thoughts or suggestions for me?
That's a question I can't answer. How about our engineering friends - any ideas for @Melschen ? Because our brooder was in the run, the cord for the heating pad wasn't long enough to reach the outlet in the coop. So we ended up using a heavy duty extension cord out there at first. (Won't have to do that this year because Ken hardwired the run for me, so I now have power in both the coop and run.) We got a plastic housing doohickey for outdoor extension cords at Walmart. You put your heating pad/extension cord connection inside it and snap it shut. Kept it dry and kept if from becoming disconnected for any reason. Seems to me that a battery isn't steady enough power - it has little waves - and that could throw off the pad into thinking it's lost power. But I'm probably totally wrong, so I'm hoping someone way smarter than me will chime in.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom