Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blooie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. COChix

COChix Overrun With Chickens

Jun 12, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop

Thank you both for the suggestions on the tomatoe cage and flattening it some. I do not have building skills to speak, that usually falls into my dear BF hands. Anyway, I like this system because it is something that I can do by myself with no help. Having been through two neck fusions and a wrist surgery most recently, I am limited in what I can and should be doing. This is something anyone from all ages and skills can make themselves! I am hoping to have the babies into the coop by Sunday, if the weather cooperates. We are currently a wet muddy mess in Boulder, we are suppose to have a freeze and snow this weekend. I haven't been to work on the small coop as it has been raining, pretty soon someone will have to send us an ark!

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  2. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Yep, we have the same weather system going though here....fruit trees are blooming and it's supposed to snow on Mother's Day. <sigh> It won't amount to much, and I should be used to spring cold snaps and snowy weather, but hope springs eternal!

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I Blooied the Blooie....AGAIN!!!! Bucket list is becoming complete......

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] (that's my victory dance, BTW....I feel some level of accomplishment here....)

4. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I think you've been practicing in secret!!!

5. COChix

COChix Overrun With Chickens

Jun 12, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nothing says spring more than babies and flower, sending spring vibes your way!

6. Cearbhael

Cearbhael Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2015
    I have a couple of mangled tomato cages... Great idea!

7. dpenning

dpenning Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Blue Ridge, TX
    When you are integrating the little girls in with the big girls at 3 weeks, how do you handle the feed? I've got the littles on grower crumbles and the big girls on layer pellets. They were 3 weeks yesterday and I've had them in the coop in a wire crate since they came home. I'm thinking about cutting a little hole that only the little girls can fit through and butting the crate up against the edge of the coop so they can come and go, just not sure about the feed.

thanks,
    dawn

8. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Keep their feed in the brooder where only they can come and go.

deb

9. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

At 3 wks all my chicks are eating with the big flock, usually fermented layer and chick starter mixed(just to get rid of the chick starter) and then just the layer ration.

10. dpenning

dpenning Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Blue Ridge, TX
    Thanks ladies! I'll keep their feed in the dog crate and when it is gone they can go to the pellets if they aren't already.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by