Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

"Brooder of Doom"!! LOVE it! I bought my small heating pad at Walmart but had to order the large one. Felt like it took a hunnert 'n' eleventy days to get here!! Yours are young enough that the should transition to Mama Heating Pad pretty easily when it gets here.

Since the weather has been fluxing between HOT summer temps and cooler autumn temps most stores have put away the heaters and winter luxuries for bathing suits and pool noodles. No one had heating pads at all! I checked both walmarts and the drug stores. I found one at a drug store the next few towns over but didn't want to make the drive since gas is $4 a gallon and it would have been a tank for the round trip.

I was just grateful the PO called me at 5 this morning to tell me my chicks where here. I didn't want to walk with my 3 year old to the PO in 40 degree temps but it didn't take long and my daughter held the box (after we checked to make sure they all were alive) in her lap under a quilt in the stroller. It must have looked weird to the morning commuters seeing a woman pushing a stroller with a big mound of quilt down the road. My Roo (daughter's knick-name) was under the quilt talking to the chicks.

The heating pad I ordered should be here Monday at the latest but I am hoping sooner. I did make the frame for the "cave" this morning after the chicks were snug in the brooder.

My chicks got lost in the mail, causing a lot of frantic phone calling and a lengthy wait at the post office for them to be specially delivered, but they are here and in with Mama. They are spending most of the time under, but are coming out for food and a little exploring. I covered the whole brooder with towels and blankets, as it's supposed to be 35 degrees outside tonight. They are in the attached garage, so I hope they will be OK. Maybe I should bring them inside?
Here they are:

I can't make that call...that's up to you. I would think they'd be fine, as long as the pad is low enough and you don't have to worry about it turning itself off during the night. It looks from the picture that your cave is at a good height, so if that pad is about back level they should be plenty warm. Remember that mine went from the feed store to the car to the brooder in the run, and it was 21 degrees out there.

Just so you know, you might lose one or even two to shipping stress if they were that delayed in the mail, so it might be better to have them in the house where you can keep an eye on them for the first 24 hours or so, just so you can act quickly if any show problems. But after that, the garage should be fine. What a cute passel of babies!

Edited to add: I also see you are using the tote lids.....good thinking! Even though I brood mine outside, you can bet that's an idea I'm stealing too! I thought it was so smart when I saw that posted....I think it was aart who showed that!

Last edited:
Since the weather has been fluxing between HOT summer temps and cooler autumn temps most stores have put away the heaters and winter luxuries for bathing suits and pool noodles. No one had heating pads at all! I checked both walmarts and the drug stores. I found one at a drug store the next few towns over but didn't want to make the drive since gas is $4 a gallon and it would have been a tank for the round trip.

I was just grateful the PO called me at 5 this morning to tell me my chicks where here. I didn't want to walk with my 3 year old to the PO in 40 degree temps but it didn't take long and my daughter held the box (after we checked to make sure they all were alive) in her lap under a quilt in the stroller. It must have looked weird to the morning commuters seeing a woman pushing a stroller with a big mound of quilt down the road. My Roo (daughter's knick-name) was under the quilt talking to the chicks.

The heating pad I ordered should be here Monday at the latest but I am hoping sooner. I did make the frame for the "cave" this morning after the chicks were snug in the brooder.
Well, you do know the routine! We want pictures!
lau.gif

I can't make that call...that's up to you. I would think they'd be fine, as long as the pad is low enough and you don't have to worry about it turning itself off during the night. It looks from the picture that your cave is at a good height, so if that pad is about back level they should be plenty warm. Remember that mine went from the feed store to the car to the brooder in the run, and it was 21 degrees out there.

Just so you know, you might lose one or even two to shipping stress if they were that delayed in the mail, so it might be better to have them in the house where you can keep an eye on them for the first 24 hours or so, just so you can act quickly if any show problems. But after that, the garage should be fine. What a cute passel of babies!

Edited to add: I also see you are using the tote lids.....good thinking! Even though I brood mine outside, you can bet that's an idea I'm stealing too! I thought it was so smart when I saw that posted....I think it was aart who showed that!
Very good point... actually used a light for heat for the first day so I could watch them closely.

Put something under the tote lid, I used a couple 2x2's, or it just gets covered in bedding.

My MHP construction failed.
One of the fluffies got stuck in the wire frame. One of the chicks was outside the Mama, cheeping like crazy. I got down and looked under the MHP and one of the chicks had somehow climbed into the wire and she was stuck there, sort of hanging from one leg and wing. I had to take apart the whole thing to get her out. She was limping pretty bad at first, but that seems better now. She is eating and drinking.
I put an aluminum pan in place of the wire and will rethink the whole thing tomorrow.
I also brought them in the house. Enough stress all around today.

Celtics33 - I have no idea what any of them are. I ordered 2 exchequer leghorns, 2 "random" marans (I let them pick), an easter egger, 2 "rare breed" (again they pick), and a gold laced wyandotte and a black copper maran roo. I like a colorful egg basket and lots of pretty chickens to look at!

--Segeine

Last edited:
Oh, the poor little thing! I'll bet you were frantic trying to get him out! I've never had that happen, although I can sure see how it's possible. I know when Bee does her Mama Heating Pad/cave, she puts the heating pad on the inside of the frame, not draped over it like I do. She said she holds it up against the frame with bungee cords. Is that a possible solution for you? I'm so sorry this happened. I sure hope he recovers quickly!

Back
Top Bottom