Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Thanks just after I posted I got a call the chicks were in the temp was taken at 3.5 inch off the floor, I did turn it down to a 5. I was only doing the paper till I knew they were set with finding their food going to have the kids help with the shavings after they get home from school. Thanks to everyone on the info on the lights, They have lots of natural light in the coop so that is a big help.

Nice!!

You can use paper towels over the newspaper to prevent slippage/leg problems for the first few days...until they are eating out of the feeder well.
Might want to 'smoosh' down the MHP so it's touching their back when crouched a bit......or put some shavings under to 'raise' the 'floor'.

Quote:
Nice!!

You can use paper towels over the newspaper to prevent slippage/leg problems for the first few days...until they are eating out of the feeder well.
Might want to 'smoosh' down the MHP so it's touching their back when crouched a bit......or put some shavings under to 'raise' the 'floor'.

That is what I did with my bathtub raised chicks 4 years ago. Last year's broody raised chicks were on pine shavings from the start.

I read somewhere too that you can put down a LOT of layers of newspaper and then put that grippy shelf liner material over the top. Then, just peel a layer of dirty paper away at a time. That way nobody slips or gets ink on them.

Here's a little stress free solution and it's also healthy for the chicks....if brooding in a tote, just layer in free and natural materials such as leaves, straw, yard debris, soil, sand, bark, etc. When the first layer gets soiled, throw down a dry layer. No cleaning out of the brooder until they are all done with it. This will cut down on the chore and mess of cleaning and also start a mini deep litter that just composts their poops and moisture, starting a good culture underfoot. There will be less dust, more things for them to do, good footing underneath and easily cleaned out at the end of the brood. Keeping all the moisture in the lower layers and creating an absorbent and natural floor for them.

If not brooding in a tote, one can do the same thing by just putting a liner down first, then just rolling it all up at the end of the brood time. That just takes all the guess work and all the work work out of brooding.

thanks for all the info on weasels. I think I am convinced, will get more hardware cloth and cover the rest of the hoop with it. These are going to be the most expensive meat birds ever!

And dang it, this morning I noticed a few little bloody poop spots, so started the corid. Seems like every 5th or 6th bath of chicks not raised by a broody ends up with cocci. So far, though, everyone appears active and healthy.

THe MHP is turned to low (3 settings) during the night, and is off during the day. They are a week old, and using the little roost like crazy. I think they have outgrown the 4'x4' brooder (24 red ranger chicks) so I will work on getting them on the ground today. It is harder to watch those poops on grass, though!

At night I have laid a tarp on top of the brooder to keep the dampness off - in the morning it is wet with dew and mouse droppings. wonder if that is the source of the cocci - i know it is everywhere, but they are on clean ground that has never housed chickens, and should have been able to deal with any thing in the dirt (they get dirt/sod chuncks).

Are they Dixie Rainbows/Pioneers? If so, you might want to hold back a couple of pullets. I held one back, and she was my earliest and best laying pullet of that year. She makes nice big roos. And her daughters are good layers also. The only negative I see in them is that their feather quality isn't as good as that of my other birds. Their feather shafts don't hold up as well to the rooster's affections.

My chicks are 10 days old! We managed to keep all alive after shipping! So far, so good! I don't want to roast them this weekend when temps are getting into 3 digits here in Nashville. The MHP seems to create enough ambient heat that the brooder gets a bit warm and with the heat already high I don't think I want to use any added heat source in the daytime, still use it at night. Will this be ok?

Okay! Here is my set up so far, I still need to put something on top to protect the pad from poops. This is 2 king sized sunbeam pads sandwiched between metal paneling called high five. Found at our local feed store. I can raise and lower the pad as needed with the chain. Suggestions are welcome! Chicks come Sunday. About 20, half 1week old and the other half 1-2 days old.

Back
Top Bottom