Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

I am in tears right now as I type this. I went to go check on the brooder this morning and found my little Blue Ameraucana chick wedged between the hardware cloth and the heating pad, dead.
hit.gif

I feel like this is all my fault. I let her down! The system seemed to be working wonderfully. They've been happy and growing. She was only a week old! She was the main reason I decided to go with raising baby chicks this year, instead of getting started 6 week old pullets from the feed store, as I've always wanted a Blue Ameraucana. I feel just sick right now!

I just thought I'd share this so it doesn't happen to anyone else.
sad.png

I was trying to catch up w the many posts I hadn't read when I saw yours. I'm so sorry
hugs.gif
It's so sad to lose a little chick. I put a towel over the HP and I thought it would be heavy enough not to have a chick trapped in between, but now I'm a little concerned.

I'm so sorry this happened. There have been a couple of these incidents, so this year I changed things up and put the heating pad on the inside of the frame, secured well with bungies, and that makes me feel a little more secure. I've never had it happen, but I don't want it to happen either. I always feel bad when someone using MHP loses a chick - like in some way I bear a little responsibility for the loss.
hugs.gif

@Blooie I don't think you should feel responsible at all.
There are thousands of 'ideas' and 'inventions' on BYC and the net in general,
and no disrespect to those who have had mishaps with the MHP,
but it's a 'reader beware' .......do due research, draw your own conclusions, make your own decisions with any resultant consequences.

Sadly, no. Blooie wanted to modify her first post to correct something that could be misleading and found there is an amount of "time gone by" before which the post can not be edited. MAYBE a moderator could grant a "variance" ??? I don't know.
@Blooie ...You could probably get a moderator to paste a disclaimer statement in the first post if you sent one to them.
I use many disclaimer words in my posts....should be, could be, maybe, probably, likely.

Blooie,

I know the original was not your own idea, but I want to thank you for posting it. We've been wanting to get chickens for years but I was fearful of such delicate little babes and the cold.
We heat with wood so our house does get chilly at times after the fire dies out till the next one is started.
I was nervous about heat lamps too as we had a fire start some years ago in our home, so we turn off lights, fans,a/c etc when we go off.

But the heating pad idea made me confident.

I don't have pics of the set up as I basically forgot to take any. But here are the babes relaxing on top of it during the day.

I used a fold up cookie cooling rack. Wired the legs of it so it could not "fold up". At first it was tall enough, but as they grew, my hubs wired the legs of the rack to scrap wood so it grew taller with them.
I wrapped the pad in a towel (you can see the towel under their "nest") I had 2 large boxes and taped them together with a doorway cut through both. One room for water, food and a little roost, the other for the homemade brooder and top nest.

As they got bigger, they were moved to our studio/shed and put in a wading pool surrounded by chicken wire. We heated with a small thermostat controlled space heater.
They stay in there at night now, and outside my kitchen window during the day in a little pen.

Our coop is now framed and the siding is going on it this week. So when they are about 5 1/2 weeks old, they'll be moving into it.

So I just wanted to thank you and all who posted on this thread because it made me know I could do this.

Sincerely, Diane... along with Mabel, Pearl, Bea, Martha, Polly, Eunice, Hazel, and Rosey (who we hope turns into an Earl)

@Blooie I don't think you should feel responsible at all.
There are thousands of 'ideas' and 'inventions' on BYC and the net in general,
and no disrespect to those who have had mishaps with the MHP,
but it's a 'reader beware' .......do due research, draw your own conclusions, make your own decisions with any resultant consequences.

@Blooie I agree with aart 100%. I feel like the MHP is a blessing. Many more chicks are growing up happy and healthy because of it and fewer homes and/or coops burned down also. I'm very thankful that we found the MHP thread and love both our MHP's.

Last edited:
I only have experience brooding these first 4 chicks, and one of mine was sitting in a not-too-comfortable spot the morning after I got them. She was stuck between the heating pad and frame I think, or she was just sitting there. She hadn't made a sound! She survived unscathed. Perhaps I was lucky. But even if I had lost her, I'd have stuck with MHP, as I plan to with any future chicks. There are risks when raising anything, kids or animals. Thanks to MHP, my girls are in their big girl coop two weeks earlier than average and seem well-adjusted, friendly and happy. Now I have to keep them safe from raccoons, opossums, and hawks! Thank you everyone, including @Blooie!

I found the MHP to be a very nice method of raising chicks, as it can avoid heat lamp hazards, but its general set up might not work for every case. I had to make some adjustments for my situation and it all worked out in the end. For those who are new to this way of raising chicks like me, it's a good idea to read the posts and experiment w the set up before the chicks arrive. Accidents happen with heat lamps, MHP or any other method because chicks are unpredictable at times and it's hard to keep on top of their next mischief. All in all, I am happy and the chicks are too. So, I don't think anybody should feel guilty for we all strive to give our chicks the best care we are able.

Oh yah Blooie I am so glad the little guy made it through the night! So I made a new cave and they are all happy little chicks this morning. They all came running and peeping out of the cave this morning when I turned the light on. Eating and drinking well and no pasty butt so that is a plus. Although one had what I thought was pasty but and I clean it up and her vent is clear, but there is something black/brown right underneath it that isn't coming out of her downy feathers. I am not sure if its just really hardened poop or if its a growth, but even after softening it in warm water the little chick was very upset when I tried pulling it off, so it might be attached its hard to tell in all that fluff. Hope its nothing serious, I really like that little chick, I am hoping since she is eating and active that its no big deal. But I will check it later today just to be safe. I will try to upload some pictures of the chicks later today when I am done with the physical therapist.
I have one like that also. Eats, drinks and acts lively. That black brown patch is hard as plastic. Since it is not interfering with it's elimination, I'll just wait and see. The chick is 3 days old.

Back
Top Bottom