Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Quote:
That is really neat how you rigged that up for the chicks. So how warm is it at night where your at? I see that your chicks are mostly feathered out but is the huddle box really all they need at only four weeks?
They have most their feathers, they'll be fine.

2 weeks ago I gathered all the chicks into a tote to re-band them.....
.....I could not believe how warm it was in that tote, those little buggers put out a lot of heat.

Thus the huddle box, it will keep any drafts off them and hold the heat from their bodies.
Oh it's in the 40-50F's at night....was almost 80 today.
Just went and checked the chicks....don't think any are in the huddle box, just lounging around on the shavings/straw near where the MHP was.
Still 75f out there tho, storm rolling in will drop the temp...will be interesting to see what they do tomorrow night when it drops 20 some degrees.

@MesMama cute chicks, hard to think ours will look like that soon. It is kinda sad how fast they grow. However, everyday is chick tv when you have babies. I could spend ours just watching them do their chicken thing. I am really more and more amazed by how quickly they learn and their fearlessness that they have at times.

@aart your weather sounds about like ours in Colorado as far as temps go. What is your elevation where you are? We are being hit by a storm now, just came in with some colder air and rain expected.

A few more food and water stations may help ease tension in your flock.
Funny you should recommend that. I added a 5 gallon bucket with 5 nipples (7 total in coop/run and 1 in the yard under the deck) and second feeding station Sunday. Things got a little better Sunday night and tonight we let all of them in the yard at the same time. Bigs went all over the yard as usual and the littles ran around coop/run not getting very far away from it. There was a little chasing but no hard pecking. Alot better than it has been.

Funny you should recommend that. I added a 5 gallon bucket with 5 nipples (7 total in coop/run and 1 in the yard under the deck) and second feeding station Sunday. Things got a little better Sunday night and tonight we let all of them in the yard at the same time. Bigs went all over the yard as usual and the littles ran around coop/run not getting very far away from it. There was a little chasing but no hard pecking. Alot better than it has been.

A lot of the pecking order has to do with who gets to eat, and when. By adding more feeders and waterers, the goal is to make it impossible for the food and water to be 'guarded' at all times by the higher ranking birds. Eventually, you can eliminate the extra stations, as long as half the flock can eat at a time; but they are an essential part of integration. Also, nice use of what you have to break up their sightlines.

Had to share: got my first baby crow today! The Sicilian Buttercup boy. Nearly peed myself laughing, but he was so proud with his little chest all puffed out, standing on top of the water bucket. He's one of the roos I'm planning on keeping, so I suppose I'll have to tone it down tomorrow so not to bruise the delicate ego...

Had to share: got my first baby crow today! The Sicilian Buttercup boy. Nearly peed myself laughing, but he was so proud with his little chest all puffed out, standing on top of the water bucket. He's one of the roos I'm planning on keeping, so I suppose I'll have to tone it down tomorrow so not to bruise the delicate ego...

Got to love them Kazoo Crows.....
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom