Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

I am wondering if seedling heat mats would work? I googled how hot they get and apparently they get to the same heat as therapeutic heat mats for humans? And they are waterproof to boot? They have to be because they are meant for seedlings so they would be exposed to dirt and water. I am in Australia hence the 240v. And there isn’t an auto shut off that you have to circumnavigate.

https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/gobran...cone-heating-pads-black-au-plug-240v-7527976/

I am wondering if seedling heat mats would work? I googled how hot they get and apparently they get to the same heat as therapeutic heat mats for humans? And they are waterproof to boot? They have to be because they are meant for seedlings so they would be exposed to dirt and water. I am in Australia hence the 240v. And there isn’t an auto shut off that you have to circumnavigate.

https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/gobran...cone-heating-pads-black-au-plug-240v-7527976/
I don't have an answer but your post reminds me that I never reported my failings. Dodgy eBay heat mats work well until they break, and then you'll find yourself scrambling to make an alternative. Avoid that option.

Might work.
Some have a built in thermostat so they only get so warm.
So might not be warm enough for chicks.
Better to be able to control the heat level.

After reading maybe half of this thread, I thought I would ask my questions and hope that someone might be able to give advice. We will be receiving 4 ready to lay pullets and 40 meat chicks (30 white rock x and 10 rangers) in the spring. The permanent coop/run for the layers is built and measures 8'x12' run with a 8'x4' elevated coop that's just over 2' off the ground.

My questions:
1- Should we brood the meat birds temporary under the elevated coop. I would built a temporary brooding box and close off the entire under the coop section as a run for them, than move them to their tractor at around 3-4 weeks
2- Or: should we brood them in their tractor. Again, build a temporary brooder box, or simply put clear plastic all around the run (leaving ventilation). We can leave it parked near the garage so that the MHP can be plugged. (Tractor will be 8'x10')
3- Other options are the unheated garage, or the covered porch that we cover in clear plastic for winter (although this is my summer bonus room, so don't really want the dust).

We will only receive them beginning of June, weather is usually close to freezing at night, up to high 60s during the day.

I’ve included a pic of the almost finished coop.

Thank you! This site has been awesome!

Attachments

• 619474F1-8687-4600-B562-A0AF2CBE56AB.jpeg
    619474F1-8687-4600-B562-A0AF2CBE56AB.jpeg
    728 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
X2. 30 chicks is too much for a MHP

I had 12 meat birds with my MHP and they quickly outgrew it. good thing they have hot little bodies and the heating pad laid out flat was enough heat for them until they were feathered out.

Might want to ask about brooding meat chicks in the 'meat bird' forum.
A Mama Heating Pad ain't gonna cover 40 birds.
X2. 30 chicks is too much for a MHP
I had 12 meat birds with my MHP and they quickly outgrew it. good thing they have hot little bodies and the heating pad laid out flat was enough heat for them until they were feathered out.
They found this thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ons-of-suburban-meat-bird-production.1115689/
Linking for others to see.

So i made the mama heating pad to get them ready to start using it so i can put them in the garage they keep pecking at the glad press and seal that i saw you should use over the towel, is that bad?

Attachments

• B2A037C9-CA41-4689-8F9A-A8B40EE816F9.jpeg
    B2A037C9-CA41-4689-8F9A-A8B40EE816F9.jpeg
    488.4 KB · Views: 17
So i made the mama heating pad to get them ready to start using it so i can put them in the garage they keep pecking at the glad press and seal that i saw you should use over the towel, is that bad?
It will be if they start tearing it.
There are other options.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/pseudo-brooder-heater-plate.67729/
I just put a piece of cardboard over mine, with a piece of heavy plastic between pad and cardboard for any soak thrus.

The Glad Press & Seal is just to make it easier to clean the towel, if they continue to peck at it, you should remove it. You can just shake off the towel occasionally, or change it out as it gets soiled. I used paper towels with a layer of pine shavings on top and replaced them when they got too bad.

Back
Top Bottom