Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

So I called My PetChicken yesterday, forgetting the time change of course, so I had to leave a message. My chicks were due to hatch and be shipped on Monday, but I never received an E-Mail saying they were on their way. In 8 years of dealing with MPC, that’s never happened before, so I left a message asking if there was no hatch or what. Every year I’ve ordered from MPC, there’s been an email on Monday and the chicks arrive on Thursday.

Ken and I were still sound asleep this morning when the phone rang at 6:15. It was the post office in Lovell telling me my chicks had arrived. WHAT??? I didn’t even know they were on the way! Because I wasn’t expecting them, I had nothing set up in the house for them. I hadn’t even been able to figure out what I was going to do with them yet, so we had decided last night to pick up a box today and put the small heating pad in there, then just wait to hear from the hatchery. I like to keep shipped chicks or chicks I hatch here at home inside until I know they understand MHP, and are eating and drinking.

Not this time. I had to bite the bullet and put them outside directly. I had absolutely nothing to put them in and obviously that time of the morning nothing was open to even get a box from. Each one got a shot of NutriDrench as it came out of the shipping box, a drink of water, then under MHP for a calm-down and warm-up. They’re all pretty feisty, none of them seemed weak, so I think they’re gonna do alright. I’ll check on them a lot today. I’m usually much better prepared, but this time I got caught with my tinsel down around my knees! Last time I was out there, they were paying attention to the older chicks and doing whatever those 3 were doing. Fingers crossed!!
Wait, What you got a second batch of chicks?

Wait, What you got a second batch of chicks?
:lau Nope, these were the 8 we’d originally ordered. But they didn’t have our Brahmas that we wanted, so when Ken found out last week that a feed store down in Cody had Brahmas, he just had to “go look”. Yeah, let’s drive 50 miles one way to “go look”. :he He ended up buying four, 2 Lights and 2 Buffs. One Light didn’t make it but it really didn’t look good coming out of the box, so we weren’t real surprised.

:lau Nope, these were the 8 we’d originally ordered. But they didn’t have our Brahmas that we wanted, so when Ken found out last week that a feed store down in Cody had Brahmas, he just had to “go look”. Yeah, let’s drive 50 miles one way to “go look”. :he He ended up buying four, 2 Lights and 2 Buffs. One Light didn’t make it but it really didn’t look good coming out of the box, so we weren’t real surprised.
So yeah, a separate batch than already installed ;)

Possession is 9/10 of the law, Ken's were there first! Thus he needs to take care of his birds and while he's there can also take care of the ones you ordered together.
I’ll tell him, Bruce. And I tell him you said so! :lau I’m going out right now to hang up a better waterer. Hoping to get some good chick pics.

1757D981-F774-4CCC-975A-793B87B39CA2.jpeg

6CBF07E0-DE6E-4DFE-BF6B-31C08B76C2A1.jpeg

F2A3B72B-C440-4F87-AC6C-3795FD57F2A9.jpeg

BD99516B-5405-4CD7-8F0F-D3C1FDB4CA6B.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom